Talk

Advanced search

Borrow my Doggy

(19 Posts)
PastLegoNow Mon 04-Dec-17 09:34:08

Has anyone used this service either as a dog owner or borrower?

Is it ok, trustworthy or in any way shape or form a bad idea?

thank you

Sarahjconnor Mon 04-Dec-17 09:38:47

I have 3 friends who have used the service. They all enjoyed it. A warning thou - it seems a lot of puppy mills use these services to exercise their animals and maybe try and scam people. 2 of the 3 friends were given so stories by the owners of in one case an unneutered and unchipped not vaccinated jack Russell which by the vets estimation was 3 and had had 3 litters of pups (they took her in and she is a happy dog now) the others were repeatedly pressured to buy dog food, pay for vets etc and eventually that breeder was blacklisted.

PastLegoNow Mon 04-Dec-17 10:48:29

Oh interesting, I suspected that this sort of service is open to scammers and cheeky Fuckers. Mhm.

Any thoughts on whether we are suitable for this? Have two ds one is 8 and one is nearly 6. My husband grew up with dogs was brought up by dogs as his parents claim I however only had cats so it's all new. I guess if DH is the main interface it might work?

Any more thoughts? thanks

Tinselistacky Mon 04-Dec-17 10:51:16

I am thinking if you are near me I have a choice of 3 lovely ddogs you can walk on the beach!!

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 10:52:48

Past are you looking for a dog to walk? A much better idea is The Cinnamon Trust. A charity that offers checks and safeguards for both sides.

PanannyPanoo Mon 04-Dec-17 10:57:13

If you want to walk dogs can I point you in the direction of The Cinnamon Trust. www.cinnamon.org.uk/

They are a charity pairing dog walkers with people who are ill or disabled. My friends husband has recently died at home of terminal cancer. She nursed him for about 4 months at home and 3 volunteers from the trust came 2 days a week each to walk their dogs. I have no idea how they would have managed without them. They have been amazing. One of the volunteers also had the dogs at her house during the funeral.
They are an amazing organisation.

PastLegoNow Mon 04-Dec-17 11:03:26

Tinselistacky thanks sadly I am not near a beach so probably not near you. That would have been lovely.

We are thinking about having a family dog in a couple of years and I would like to explore what it might be like having a dog and experiencing looking after a dog before we make up our minds. I will certainly look at the cinnamon trust, thank you for suggesting it.

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 11:43:04

Local shelters may also be glad of a dog walker.
Worth noting that the cinnamon trust doesn't put all cases on the website. It's worth registering anyway.

Hoppinggreen Mon 04-Dec-17 11:45:24

We used to be borrowers and it was great, there were a lot of cheeky feckers on there though.
It CAN work OP but not in all cases

zoomies1 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:46:02

I registered on borrow my doggy to find someone who would be willing to walk my lovely pooch every now and then. I'm actually having real problems finding someone as people don't reply to messages (maybe its just us). I am a pretty normal dog owner and really not looking to take the p*ss. Wouldn't expect anyone to pay for food etc so I'm sure there are others like me out there.

Modestine Mon 04-Dec-17 18:58:41

Lots of cheeky fuckers, mainly, for us, young men bringing their girlfriends to have a cuddle with our dog, thereafter never to be seen again. Just not worth the hassle. Disappointing. I was perfectly happy to share freely, all bills paid, etc.

rightsaidfrederickII Tue 05-Dec-17 15:38:26

@zoomies - curious, I've heard on the grapevine that there's a shortage of dogs around my way (London) and borrowers struggle to find dogs

Possibly geographical distances?

TattyCat Tue 05-Dec-17 17:32:22

Op, you can always foster for a rescue centre. That way, you get a better feel for the day to day commitment rather than just the odd walk to see how it is. It is a commitment and the wet, dark days and dirty feet are something to behold, but if you can get through those with a dog you don't yet 'love' then you'll fly when/if you get your own. Of course, every dog is different...

Plus, you'll be helping some poor little sausage to stay out of kennels for winter and if you find it's not for you, it's not forever.

Modestine Wed 06-Dec-17 18:54:12

Rights, I'm in London. If that's the case they need to weed out the time-wasters - one or two: fair enough, but more than that is taking the pee.

hollygolipo Wed 06-Dec-17 19:10:11

I'm in London, registered with BMD and messaged various dog owners and got zero replies... I'd love to walk a dog but BMD was hopeless for me. I'll try the Cinnamon Trust...

Modestine Wed 06-Dec-17 19:42:52

I've PM'd you, Holly. smile

ButFirstTea Thu 07-Dec-17 10:38:55

I've used Borrow My Doggy before as a borrower and I've recently registered as an owner. As a Borrower I found it mixed - I met a lovely women with two jack russells who I adore, we had them overnight every couple of months when she would work late and stay overnight away from home. There are quite a few people on there who want you to do their normal chores for them, eg the couple who said I could walk their dog but only after 6pm on a weekday when they were both at home anyway.

I've had a surprising lack of messages there as a dog owner though! I'm in south west London if anyone on this thread wants to look after a puppy one day a week...!?

Whitney168 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:28:08

I genuinely don't get BMD.

I would be hard enough pushed to let an approved insured professional take my dog for a walk, let alone someone who just contacted me on the internet that you don't know from Adam and can't get any references for.

From those looking to 'lend' their dogs, why are you surprised at a lack of people offering to do unpaid dog-care in any form that allows you to depend on it and offended that people aren't queuing up to help you support your responsibility?

ButFirstTea Thu 07-Dec-17 11:47:46

I'm not offended, haha. It's surprising because as an owner and a borrower you get weekly emails telling you how many people have signed up in your area. Each week in my area there are eg 15 new dogs signing up and 150 new borrowers, it's disproportionate so I think you naturally expect some messages from borrowers who are interested.

Also these people have voluntarily signed up (and paid for) the use of the service, it's not that I depend on them (at all, I literally don't use any unpaid care for my puppy!) but why would you pay to use a website and then not actually use it?

And borrowers are insured and you can of course get references if you want, so that's a moot point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now