Talk

Advanced search

second dog

(28 Posts)
houselikeashed Sun 03-Dec-17 23:31:39

What dog would go with a Border Terrier? We're thinking a Cocker Spaniel, so something around that sort of size.

Wolfiefan Sun 03-Dec-17 23:32:54

How old is the BT? How much walking do you do?

Oops4 Mon 04-Dec-17 00:47:47

Another border terrier 😊 We got border terrier 1 last October and border terrier 2 this October! No 1 just needed a dog friend. They are brilliant together.

rightsaidfrederickII Mon 04-Dec-17 11:32:33

What's your lifestyle like? How much walking, grooming, company etc etc can you offer?

houselikeashed Mon 04-Dec-17 13:16:21

BT will be almost 1 when we get the second dog. this is our second BT, so we fancied giving a different breed a go. Although 2 bt's is such a lovely thought.

lifestyle - we work two days a week, other than that we can offer plenty of off lead walks. Grooming, not every day please! But obviously we have dog hair around already, and grooming needs of the BT, so happy to do basic grooming duties.

FairfaxAikman Mon 04-Dec-17 13:19:44

I currently have a lab from working lines. I'm considering a BT as my next dog because I feel there are a lot of similarities in intelligence and drive (I do dog sports).

Very little grooming needed - furminator once a week and a hose down when muddy.

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 13:35:04

How secure is training at 1 year old? I would want it secure before getting another!
What happens on the two days you work?

Oops4 Mon 04-Dec-17 18:46:46

Fair point wolfie. Really depends on the dogs. A 1 year gap between our two BTs has worked really well for us. Ddog1 grew out of the very puppy stage (nipping/chewing/digging/pulling on lead) very quickly and the only thing that was a slight issue was the very occasional accident in the house. He has been far better than we could have expected with pup. So so tolerant and because he is still so young, is still very happy to play all the puppy games. She is learning so much from him and redoing toilet training has stopped his occasional accidents. We are careful to spend time training them individually and do a combination of solo and duo walks but so far it has been a great decision.

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 18:57:46

I only ask as Wolfie pup is 14 months and there's not a hope in hell I could take on a second right now! blush

Chickenagain Mon 04-Dec-17 19:04:05

I would recommend another Border Terrier. They are quite robust little dogs and the ones I know who live with another breed, well, the other breed can take a bit of a battering IYKWIM......
Or a whippet - fast enough to run away and great dogs to boot!

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 04-Dec-17 19:05:16

My youngest two have twelve months (almost to the day) between them and I wouldn't have that sort of age gap again if I could avoid it.

Having a needy teenager and a rambunctious pain in the arse puppy at the same time was hard work. They're five and four years old now and still occasionally wind each other something chronic hmmgrin

It does depend on the dogs in question. DWhippet1 was a breeze as a teenager and I don't think it would have been as difficult if we'd have had that age gap between him and DWhippet2. There's actually eighteen months between them and I think that sort of gap between DWhippets2&3 would have been much, much easier.

DWhippet3 has taken a looooooooooong time to mature. He's just turned four years old and it's only really in the last six months we've even started thinking about adding another.

In future my preferred age gap would be at least eighteen months plus, or post the adolescent phase of the youngest.

1805 Mon 04-Dec-17 21:47:50

training is going pretty well I think. My only worry is that he does run off occasionally when on a walk and I can't get him back. He does come back, but only when he's ready. We need to work on that before we get doggie no2.
Anyone got a cocker spaniel?

1805 Mon 04-Dec-17 21:50:44

sorry - on the days I work, he is left alone at the moment. We are carefully watching him for signs of stress/anxiety, but he seems fine. If need be, we'd get a dog walker in for those two days. Or use day care. Plenty of options around near us.

Veronicat Mon 04-Dec-17 21:53:09

A Patterdale. A client at work has a Border with one. They are brilliant dogs.

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 22:33:48

He's left alone for a full working day with no chance to go for a wee?
That is not fair on the dog. No decent breeder will let you have a pup with that arrangement.

SheffieldStealer Tue 05-Dec-17 09:19:06

following this thread with interest as we're planning to introduce a friend for our Border terrier in the new year. He had a big dog pal until last year, and the big dog's chilled nature seemed to calm the BT's hyper energy down to more manageable levels. We're thinking a hound of some kind, or maybe a Clumber spaniel/lab?

ButFirstTea Tue 05-Dec-17 09:39:10

Soft coated wheaten terriers are lovely and we're currently thinking about what breed to get as our second dog (although not for another 18 months or so!). I think they'd go really well with Border Terriers. I never used to be a terrier person and I can't believe how much I adore them now!!

1805 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:47:31

Wolfiefan - please don't worry about our arrangements. We don't work 9-5 jobs. We've always had dogs and they've always been cared for very well. I want this thread to be about what breeds would go well with a BT, not about how we look after our pets.

I will look up Soft coated wheaten terriers, and Clumber spaniel (never heard of that type.)

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Dec-17 16:57:19

Sorry. I took your comments as working two full time days. I apologise if this isn't the case. You would be amazed how many people think shutting a dog in a crate and going out to work all day is actually ok!
I like clumbers. A lab could also work. I love the working ones. But they are high energy. The only Border I know is quite a lazy girl! grin

FairfaxAikman Tue 05-Dec-17 17:13:03

Wolfie depends what Line they come from - some are higher drive than others.**

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Dec-17 17:17:21

I didn't know that Fairfax. Total newbie here so learning a lot! Thanks.

FairfaxAikman Tue 05-Dec-17 17:58:43

Wolfie they are nearly all higher drive than the show types, but there's a variation amongst workers.**

One of mine is much lower drive than the other two (who are her offspring).** She's happy enough with a few miles, whereas the pups will do three times that distance (I still walk the few miles, they pelt around)

Think adding the sire's lines into hers made for intelligent pups but with a higher drive (more than two thirds of his pedigree was FTCh or FTW, whereas hers had far less red ink)

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Dec-17 18:39:53

That's really interesting. I have little idea about breeding etc. (Don't worry I won't be breeding from my girl!) it's fascinating.

kmh79 Sat 09-Dec-17 23:02:11

Hi can anyone offer me any advice please. I’ve got a 4 month old border collie pup and she keeps attacking my middle dog to the point I’ve begun bitten separating them she is really vicious Shen she does this and I’m too nervous to put gh together as she goes for her as soon as she is in reach. I’ve enquirer with a trainer and they said it sounds like resource guarding but dog Behaviorists are so expensive and I don’t want to give up on her but can’t see a way to get passed this. I tried walking her tonight with the older dog and she went mad barking all the time I didn’t even get out of the gate she just seems to ghave gone crazy and the more separated they are the worse she is help x

Scandicat Sat 09-Dec-17 23:18:26

In answer to OP we have two working cockers. Three year age gap. They are wonderful dogs but pretty full on.

So I'd say it depends on what your existing dog is like. The play between my two seems pretty ferocious to me but its definitely mutual and my older spaniel is a great combination of keen to play but gentle. However, I think a more sedate older dog would have been really annoyed by bouncy cocker puppy.

Someone I know has a border terrier. They had her at DD's cricket training and I was amazed that she could just potter around off lead. My older spaniel would never be that chilled. That said, the border terrier pottered slowly off and disappeared and was found wandering off up the lane and returned home, so perhaps they are stealthily mad rather than full on crazy like a cocker! They always seem lovely to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now