Talk

Advanced search

Dog eating but rapidly losing weight.

(21 Posts)
Mustang27 Sun 03-Dec-17 19:25:21

15yr old collie with an unmedicated grade 4 heart murmur (only known condition didn't want to drip feed) was only diagnosed at last check up and vet and I felt she was coping well and was without symptoms so no need to start medicating in such twilight years. Any way she is eating but within last week has dropped weight noticeably she is not really out of sorts in any way which makes me confused. She has always ate a mixture of raw and complete and been a bit hard to regulate weight as in she gets chubby because she steals my other dogs food, she is a complete glutton so we do monitor her food intake closely. She is normally a healthy 13-15kg which is good for her size and can normally feel her ribs and spine if pushing a little but if you shaved her now I think they would both be protruding she feels very Boney all of a sudden sad.

I will take her to the vets but any ideas or others experience with similar to this would be helpful.

Twuntingattheweekend Sun 03-Dec-17 19:28:04

Crushing s.caused my dog to loose weight

Twuntingattheweekend Sun 03-Dec-17 19:28:47

Kidneys failing also caused weight loss,

Twuntingattheweekend Sun 03-Dec-17 19:29:37

15 years is a good ,very good age to get to x

Mustang27 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:16:31

Hmm I was assuming it's going to be something really crap. Yeah it is I know it is. I don't mind getting some basic tests done but I'm not going to put her through the stress she is a highly anxious as it is, if it has to be the choice between that or putting to sleep il pick the latter. I'd be doing more harm than good with the testing and things I'm sure of it. I have a good vet that would probably suggest I don't put her through the stress as well.

Isitwinteryet Thu 07-Dec-17 23:55:35

I agree with your decision op. That would be my if it were my dog. flowers

bigsighall Sat 09-Dec-17 16:32:28

We had exactly the same with our dog recently. Basic tests showed nothing. Losing a kilo a fortnight. We decided not to test any further. Vet suspected a tumour or something serious. We put him to sleep before he went too downhill. Horrible situation sad

Kurkku Sat 09-Dec-17 16:40:18

Ours had a massive and fast growing tumor in her liver. 14+ years old and had been in fantastic shape until 6-7 weeks before she was diagnosed and been thoroughly checked by the vet 4 months prior. She went downhill so quick, it was heartbreaking.
Hope your girl will have a different outlook though.

Mustang27 Sat 09-Dec-17 17:08:02

Her full bloods and urine were looking ok considering her age and the weightloss. Vet agreed to leave it and we will recheck her weight in 2 weeks unless something major changes within that time. Iv upped her food a little nothing to cause extra strain if there is something nasty going on but enough that if she is ok there should be a little change for the positive. I'm hoping it's nothing but realise I'm clutching at straws. Vet is majorly concerned. It was 4kg in total she had lost since her last weigh in it's pretty drastic and vet wasn't so hopeful.

Catsrus Sat 09-Dec-17 19:35:33

She's 15. Whatever it is she is nearing the end - trust your instincts on what's the best, least intrusive, course of action.

Isitwinteryet Sat 09-Dec-17 22:44:51

Feel for you op. I'll just say the best advice I was given in this situation, and used when making this decision for my own elderly dog. Better a week too early than a day too late.

Mustang27 Sat 30-Dec-17 09:15:46

So she has been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Disease. Anybody have experience of it? It's going to cost between 70-120 a month to treat. Iv read up about the meds and there seems to be no guarantee they will really help and maybe prolong her life for 4-15 months max. I'm now stuck to do what's best for her and us. She isn't able to do much exercise even on this pills so 10 min walk at most 3/4 times a day max as she has started to faint/fall on a daily basis after walk but upping her food did see her gain. Iv got a week of treatment now but am I just being selfish sad

Maggiewashere Sat 30-Dec-17 11:24:58

No advice to offer, but she is a very old dog and in my opinion you would not be selfish to have her put peacefully to sleep.

Mustang27 Sat 30-Dec-17 11:45:39

Thanks Maggie I made a fresh post to see if anyone has any experience but my gut feeling is I'd be keeping her alive and she wouldn't be completely herself. I realise old age doesn't come alone and you do have to modify lifestyle to a degree but she is working stock and I feel all the inactivity will really upset her as she is very clever and she would be so bored.

meandmytinfoilhat Sat 30-Dec-17 16:38:40

I'm sorry about your dogs diagnosis. Mitral valve is difficult to treat even with treatment.

If you feel she would suffer more from being medically retired, I would be inclined to put her to sleep.

If you think she would be happy to live out the rest of her days in the house and not working, then don't have her put to sleep.

It's a difficult decision to make but only you know your dog and what makes her happy.

I'm sorry to read your in this position Op.

Mustang27 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:07:03

Hey just to let you all know we said goodbye to my lovely dog yesterday. It was time she had definitely got worse and vet did a check over before doing the horrible bits and confirmed fluid build up in her stomach likely caused by both sides of her heart failing.

Thank you for all the advice and kind words it helped. I know I did the right thing for her but Christ it hurts like hell. I'm hoping her brother holds on in there but at 16 he is getting on too. Just spoil and distract him and hopefully he won't get sad.

Will be taking a very long break from pets I can't deal with this bit at all.

CocaineAndCaviar Sat 13-Jan-18 21:49:13

Oh mustang I'm so sorry, it's bloody heartbreaking isn't it? You did the right thing by letting her go, but of course deep down you know that. How is the other doggo doing? thanks

Mustang27 Sun 14-Jan-18 03:02:34

Cocaine he seems ok a little confused and is looking for her especially at night. He can't seem to decide where to sleep at the mo so is restless. I wonder what they think. He is getting lots of extra cuddles and treats I hope it helps.

confusedandemployed Sun 14-Jan-18 08:56:19

I'm so very sorry. I lost my lovely girl 2 years ago and I think her brother, 16 this year, will go in a week or so. You did right by her. flowers

BiteyShark Sun 14-Jan-18 09:12:45

So sorry OP flowers, hoping her brother isn't too sad with all his extra cuddles.

CocaineAndCaviar Sun 14-Jan-18 22:37:15

Give him a big belly rub and cuddle from all of us ❤️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: