Talk

Advanced search

Somebody please come and share my absolute joy!!!

(24 Posts)
Pombliboo123 Sat 02-Dec-17 10:54:03

I LOVE dogs. I mean I absolutely adore them. If you asked any of my friends to tell you something about me they would say "oh Pombliboo rrally loves dogs". I stop to pet dogs in street (with permission of course!) I shout DOG everyone I see one excitedly etc.

I have two pomeranians at home who are my precious little babies but I'm currently on a wee break away and I miss them.

I was scrolling through Facebook today and saw that a CHIHUAHUA CAFE has just opened in Edinburgh (where I am) today so I have booked it and will get to spend a whole hour playing and cuddling and smooching 7 little chihuahuas. This is basically my dream and I'm fairly confident that this is going to be the best day ever. Somebody be excited for me please grin

I woke DP up screeching with excitement and he has gone back to sleep

Mummychoochoo3 Sat 02-Dec-17 10:56:51

smile Yay, I'm happy for you. Very excited! Enjoy!! Thanks for sharing your happy news

blueskypink Sat 02-Dec-17 19:39:54

Do chihuahuas like being 'cuddled and smooched'?

Hoppinggreen Sat 02-Dec-17 19:43:53

As long as the chihuahuas are as up for it as you are I’m sure it will be great but I’m not sure how much they like being cuddled.
Not my cuppa as small dogs make me nervous but enjoy it OP

beechie12 Sat 02-Dec-17 20:22:40

Sounds amazing. I am so happy for you. I love people with a passion.

LEMtheoriginal Sat 02-Dec-17 20:25:10

My experience of chis is such that they would not necessarily share your joy.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 02-Dec-17 20:31:52

heard about that café a couple of days ago and my first thought was it was cruel.

how do they make sure the chi's aren't stressed, if one is and cant perform for them in the café what happens to it?

just doesn't feel right to me

GeorgeTheHamster Sat 02-Dec-17 20:34:59

Cat cafes are crap. Cats don't like being cuddled.

tabulahrasa Sat 02-Dec-17 21:02:56

I've been to a cat cafe... you don't get to cuddle them, it's just paying money to be ignored by someone else's cats...

I still don't understand it, I've got my own cat to ignore me, lol, DD liked it though.

Pombliboo123 Sun 03-Dec-17 09:30:37

So yesterday was the best day ever!

Some of the Chihuahuas liked to be cuddled and smooched... some of them liked to see if you had any treats and then go back to their private chill out room through the back (which they can go to at anytime).

The tiniest littlest one was obviously worn out (it was the cafes first full day bring open) So shebis curled up on DPs knee and slept their for an hour! The dogs seemed well loved and looked after... And seemed to be enjoying all the attention and like I said, when they had enough they could go through to the back.

I want to go back again today but at £15 per person I think I'll just wait and cuddle my own dogs at home grin

blueskypink Sun 03-Dec-17 09:50:37

hmm

Slartybartfast Sun 03-Dec-17 09:52:17

like a petting zoo
doesnt sound right

Pombliboo123 Sun 03-Dec-17 10:04:16

I don't know about everyone else's experience with dogs... But my two at home would be in their element being stroked and shown attention by people all day... I would be the first person to say if I thought the dogs were unhappy, but they quite happily jumped up in your knee (I didn't once pick one up)

WeAllHaveWings Sun 03-Dec-17 11:11:21

The tiniest littlest one was obviously worn out (it was the cafes first full day bring open)

How do you know she was worn out, if she was yawning that is a sign of stress. Yet she was still out performing for visitors, poor pup was probably exhausted and confused, not knowing what was going on and wanted to be with her owner not alone in a back room.

So shebis curled up on DPs knee and slept their for an hour!

So did your DP sit on the floor for a whole hour or are they already not supervising enough to see one of their house rules of not lifting more than 1 foot above the ground is being broken?

I hate the idea of dogs being used as commodities in this way, having a cutesy name like Chihauhau Café does not take away from the fact they are basically sticking dogs in a petting zoo type environment for commercial benefit.

Mustang27 Sun 03-Dec-17 11:19:55

Pom it sounds lovely. Yeah to everyone saying its likely just a money maker for the owner however this could be great for ppl that can't have pets or mh/health issues that just spending this time is quite therapeutic for them.

Pombliboo123 Sun 03-Dec-17 11:53:10

I can see that I am not going to change your mind... I could tell the littlest one was tired because she just kept jumping up onto DPs knee and curling up in a ball and sleeping. DP did try to put her on the floor to go and play but she just kept jumping up and going to sleep. A threatened or distressed dog wouldn't go to sleep on a stranger.

There was 4 staff members supervising 4 dogs, and about 8 people. It was all adults when I was visiting (And I don't think they allow children under 12 but I could be wrong). So the adults all acted appropriately around the dogs, But the owner did tell a lady not to pet a dog who had gone in his shark house bed ... So they were being supervised appropriately I feel.

It's all sofas as opposed to chairs so the dogs just jumped up when they wanted up, except for one who put her paws on your knee when she wanted up, And the lady asked if it was okay to pick her up onto the sofa and that was fine. There is also a staff member (I think the owners girlfriend actually) in the back "quiet" room to be with them through there as well.

As I said, it's dependant on the dogs I think. If I put my little one in that cafe she woukd be the happiest little dog that ever was.

Pombliboo123 Sun 03-Dec-17 11:53:38

Sorry, 7 dogs

blueskypink Sun 03-Dec-17 11:59:33

I shout DOG everyone I see one excitedly etc.

If you did that to one of my dogs I'd think you were a complete nutter and tell you to back off. Unless you were a small child.

I find your assumption that everyone will share your excitement at being able to treat dogs like toys or babies quite alarming.

Pombliboo123 Sun 03-Dec-17 12:08:14

Wow. You must be a very grumpy person then.

I don't actually shout DOG loudly, but I will point out every dog I see to the person I'm with hey look - a dog!

What's wrong with loving digs and being exited to see one?

I also don't expect everyone to share my love for dogs from lots if threads in here I can see that quite a lot of people strongly dislike dogs. I started this thread so for people who would be exited over dogs to talk....

Pombliboo123 Sun 03-Dec-17 12:08:57

Also the use of the word alarming is overkill.

My dogs are very well cared for and loved. What s so alarming about that?!

blueskypink Sun 03-Dec-17 12:13:40

Wow you are so off the mark. Loving a dog means understanding and respecting its needs and not anthropomorphising it.

Believe me I love my 3 dogs and I'm not grumpy. You sound incredibly childish. I've had people like you approach my dogs, squealing with excitement who seem oblivious to the fact that they are alarming or even frightening my dogs.

timeforabrewnow Sun 03-Dec-17 12:25:13

I've been to a cat cafe... you don't get to cuddle them, it's just paying money to be ignored by someone else's cats...

grin

love it

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Sun 03-Dec-17 17:06:32

You need to get out more. Chihuahuas are stuck up and snappy I'd rather spend the £15+ on treats for my own dog.

AllGoodDogs Wed 06-Dec-17 20:21:50

Sounds like fun! I was never a fan of small dogs until we inherited a yorkie from DHs grandad after he passed. Aside from barking when someone comes to the door (and actually being a few better guard dog than our Labrador) he's a lovely, delightful pooch. Glad you enjoyed your visit - I would imagine that if someone likes dogs enough to pay £15 to sit in a cafe and pet them, they'll like them enough to complain / report them if they feel that the dogs' needs aren't being met.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now