Talk

Advanced search

Smelly and moulting terrier

(14 Posts)
namechange2222 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:16:17

I have a smelly norfolk terrier. She is seven and has always had a strong odour. Hand stripped every five months or so and for the first week or two it's bliss. Then she starts smelling again. Perfectly healthy, good weight and active. Occasionally bathed if very muddy in between times as we live rurally.
I don't think this is out of the ordinary for Norfolk's but wondered if anyone has any advise?
Another question I have is does anyone know of anything that helps prevent constant moulting?

missbattenburg Fri 01-Dec-17 12:19:32

What's her diet like?

namechange2222 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:46:21

Fish for dogs only. No treats as Norfolk's are prone to weight gain. She's been pongy since eight weeks old

Maudlinmaud Fri 01-Dec-17 12:53:44

I bathe mine weekly with a mild doggy shampoo, if I miss a week he starts to get pongy. Is it the coat that smells? Sometimes the anal glands are really the problem.

namechange2222 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:08:30

Yes Maudlin Its the coat I believe. Anal glands have always been fine. Maybe it really is as simple as needing to bath her! I've never really bathed dogs in thirty years of owning them!

fourpawswhite Fri 01-Dec-17 13:13:33

Hmmmm, our older terrier is definitely smellier than the younger ones but she doesn't get stripped and never has done. Has yours been spayed? If not that may have an impact. With ours her coat changed considerably and was much easier.

Yeast infection can cause smell.

Other than that a furminator quite good for shedding and stripping which you do anyway.

namechange2222 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:39:16

I groom her regularly and also use the ferminater. I get loads of hair out but she still moults everywhere except for a couple of weeks post hand strip. Yes she's been spayed a couple of years ago. I'll pop into a pets at home type place and see what they suggest

Maudlinmaud Fri 01-Dec-17 13:40:32

Mines a yorkie namechange and I keep his coat long most of the time so bathing and grooming is necessary. He has a teddy cut at the moment but honestly still needs washed once a week. Sometimes I'll get away with using a product by pet head called waterless spray shampoo but on a stinky coat it's just masking the odour.I'd try bathing him every couple of weeks to see if it makes any difference but use a really mild shampoo especially for dogs in case he has sensitive skin.

Maudlinmaud Fri 01-Dec-17 13:41:09

Sorry I see it's a she. My bad.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Dec-17 13:52:03

I bath my terrier every week in Pet Head flaky (from Amazon) as she's prone to dandruff and red bits. I also give her salmon oil in her food. Her skin is perfect since I started giving her the salmon oil.

She gets filthy as her withers get covered in mud and I don't like smelly dogs

Oops4 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:00:39

I put my dog on a food that was enriched with omega oils and the carbohydrate was sweet potato. Almost overnight he started smelling and was scratching a lot. I was washing bedding every other day then a random google search suggested it could be the fish oils. Switched food and smell was gone. He is fine on a salmon based food so it's not the actual fish but I think it was the fact the other food had need enriched with fish oils and the sweet potato seemed to cause the itch

villainousbroodmare Fri 01-Dec-17 17:11:26

Wash her with a medicated dog shampoo and work the lather in for a good 5-10 min before rinsing.

namechange2222 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:22:40

Absolutely brilliant advise. many thanks

namechange2222 Sun 03-Dec-17 10:49:16

Ok an update. Ive bought a Pet head shampoo and pet head deodorising spray. Ive also got some stuff called Yumega to add to food daily. It claims to reduce moulting within 3 weeks or so.
I'll update about the stinky hairy pooch in due course!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: