Talk

Advanced search

Pet insurance going up.

(10 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Fri 01-Dec-17 09:44:41

I have two dogs. Both insured with Agria.
In the first year the premium was £20, now at the start of the 5th year (they recently turned four) the premium has gone to 32 quid a month each.
Is that about right?
It's a life term policy with £12.5K vet bill limit.

Ifailed Fri 01-Dec-17 09:45:49

I'd imagine the chances of needing vet treatment increases with age, so sounds reasonable.

BiteyShark Fri 01-Dec-17 09:47:04

I pay more than that for a life time cover for a 1 year old with £4k limit. Sounds good value to me.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 01-Dec-17 13:52:16

Our 4 year old lab is £44/month with petplan, £4K/year lifetime policy.

Grateful for it this year as vet bills £2800 so far.

Wolfiefan Fri 01-Dec-17 13:53:48

It will go up every year. Dogs are more likely to need treatment as they age.

Sillysausage123 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:02:12

My insurance doubled with Tesco after a year where I had a claim.
I'm now stuck with them as it will be classed as pre existing condition if I ever changed and wouldn't be covered.
Insurers know they have you and can charge what they want at renewal

Whitney168 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:04:25

Not much point checking costs on here, to be honest - dog insurance is very much driven by size, breed/type, age of pet and geographical location, so unless someone has the same breed, same age in the same town, there is no reason to expect them to be similar.

The real question you need is can you get it cheaper? As my dogs have no exclusions (touches wood), I get new quotes and take out a new policy every year, often with the same insurer but at a much cheaper price - and through Topcashback to boot, which normally gives a half decent lump off.

If you do this, make sure you have a 14-day overlap though, or whatever the new policy requires before sickness cover kicks in.

If you have had claims, this is obviously not at all helpful, but worth a look if you haven't.

knockknockknock Fri 01-Dec-17 14:14:56

I've got a two year old spaniel. Mine went from £27 to £48 a month following several claims last year totalling £3500.

Can't change insurers as it would all be pre-existing though.

Greyhorses Fri 01-Dec-17 19:15:50

I pay around £30 per dog and it goes up every year with Petplan even though they say they don't increase premiums confused

ShovellerDuck Sat 02-Dec-17 19:41:57

To a pet insurer old age kicks in at age eight. My dog’s insurance doubled then and doubled again the next year despite only one very minor claim.
My breed frequently lives into middle or late teens. The insurance companies clearly want us to give up our cover when claims become more likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now