Talk

Advanced search

Dog rolling over to show its tummy

(18 Posts)
Feedmepringles Thu 23-Nov-17 06:31:41

I watched a dog programme where they said this meant the dog was feeling threatened and was saying it's ok I don't want any trouble...my dog does this sometimes when we are waiting at the school gates and people come to fuss her.she seems very happy ,jumping up and keen for a fuss...so is the programme right ? Is she feeling threatened in that situation? Thanks in advance x

KinkyAfro Thu 23-Nov-17 07:50:15

My dog does it all the time, mostly at home with just me, can't see how she feels threatened, I think she just likes belly rubs

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Thu 23-Nov-17 08:06:48

They can do it because they like tummy rubs or out of submission. The two look very different but I can't explain how - I just know when I see it.

missbattenburg Thu 23-Nov-17 09:46:48

They do it for lots of reasons. Kind of like humans lick their lips because:
a) they have dry lips or
b) they are nervous or
c) they are hungry/salivating

Dogs are the same. They have a behaviour of rolling over that originates in puppyhood as a way of appeasing a bigger or older dog to reduce the chances of being scolded or attacked. However, as they grow up in human households this behaviour often earns them nice things like attention, sympathy, fuss and belly rubs.

Dogs like belly rubs (bitches tend to like belly rubs lower down where it feels a bit like puppies feeding and dogs tend to prefer chest rubs that feel a bit like mating). Over time they learnt his is a great way to get a belly rub.

Alternatively, they learn it is a nice way to greet people because humans tend to go a bit soppy to a dog that has rolled over and so yours may have learned that a greeting on her back is more fun than a greeting standing up.

rightsaidfrederickII Thu 23-Nov-17 12:45:45

I think it can be a sign of feeling very relaxed and safe, and wanted belly rubs. I used to have a dog (very friendly, very relaxed, toy breed) who would roll over if you so much as tickled his ear at home, and sometimes when we were out too.

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 23-Nov-17 13:23:02

As previous posters have said, rolling over on their backs can mean very different things. You need to look at the rest of their body language as well.

This article has a great photo comparison of a happy "rub my belly" roll over versus a submissive "please don't" one.

user1497997754 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:57:52

My dogs sleep sometimes on their backs I take it as a compliment that they feel so at ease and comfortable because they are happy. They both like tummy rubs though ....so do I lol

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Thu 23-Nov-17 21:06:31

cornflake that's a fantastic link! I didn't used to get what was meant by lip licking being a submissive, don't touch/hurt me gesture, as mine did it when I had nice smelling food (sausages, bacon, etc). Then I saw pictures similar to on that link and it was suddenly so obvious, once I'd seen it side by side - I'd now say I'm fairly good at reading dogs body language. Which enabled me to work on desensitizing my brother's rescue dog to other dogs (she was severely dog aggressive and the stupidly expensive behaviourist had got no-where).

Fatjilly Thu 23-Nov-17 21:20:42

90% of time spent with fluffy feet in the air smile

ScaryMonstersAndSuoerCreeps Thu 23-Nov-17 21:25:54

This is a very relaxed non stressed dog!!!! grin

Fatjilly Thu 23-Nov-17 21:26:47

Watches telly in this position too...lovely little weirdo

Fatjilly Thu 23-Nov-17 21:32:14

And the little fluffy weirdo does it too

Feedmepringles Fri 24-Nov-17 08:14:25

Cheers guys ..thanks for all the info,I was only asking as she did it a few times when I came home ,as a ..I thought .. a greeting..

blueskyinmarch Fri 24-Nov-17 08:23:13

Mine does the happy 'gimme tummy rubs' back roll. I have never seen her do it in a submissive, threatened way.

Sludgecolours Fri 24-Nov-17 08:29:34

Agree with Cornflake that it can mean very different things. I can't find it ATM but there is a famous video on YouTube where a man badly misinterprets the signals a golden labrador is giving out when lying on his back. He thinks he is being friendly and goes straight up to him to stroke his stomach, and gets badly bitten, as the dog was feeling extremely threatened and not at all relaxed.

Just mentioning this because your dog is doing this at the school gate with DC around, so you are right to ask the question and perhaps be cautious. He could be fine but difficult to tell without seeing your dog in RL.

Will try and find the video later on!

KinkyAfro Fri 24-Nov-17 10:07:33

Belly rub, belly rub!

KinkyAfro Fri 24-Nov-17 10:08:45

Belly rub, belly rub!

Flippetydip Fri 24-Nov-17 12:12:46

Ours sleeps in that position. I think greys are notorious for it. Known as the "roach" so I understand.

Our babysitter apparently looked over at this massive dog, legs in the air, tongue hanging out, head hanging off the sofa, eyes half open and panicked thinking DDog had died!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now