Talk

Advanced search

Hand stripping.

(21 Posts)
Thebluedog Tue 21-Nov-17 20:59:12

I’ve a terrier cross (border/Lakeland), he’s coming up to a year old and is now looking decidedly scruffy with lots of dead hair. I try and brush him on a regular basis but someone has recommended hand stripping, by a professional.

I’ve googled this, and please don’t judge, but it looks painful confused would you recommend it? What are the benefits? My dog is kept outside when I’m not around, maybe a couple of hours a few times a week, as we are coming up to winter, will the process make him colder when outside? Apologies for the daft questions

Bluelonerose Tue 21-Nov-17 21:03:01

I used to have a boarder terrier.
I used to have mine professionally done as a proper groomer will clean their bum etc.

If he was looking a bit shaggy in places inbetween grooming I would brush him with a flea comb which used to keep it shorter.

Oops4 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:31:12

I have two borders and just do them myself. I had spoken to one groomer who said they shouldn't be stripped if they were neutered but the majority of info I have found suggests you should. It's much better for their coat as it removes the dead hairs. I decided to try it myself whilst he was asleep on me watching telly to see if he objected and he really didn't. Once I started I just kept going (it's a bit addictive!) so have ended up just keeping on doing it myself.

Elphame Tue 21-Nov-17 21:53:18

It's better for the coats if you do strip. if you clip a double coated breed then the dog loses the natural weatherproof top coat.

It's dead hair that they are removing so doesn't hurt the dog. I've always had my Welshies stripped a couple of times a year and the current 5 month old pup has his first appt with the groomer in 2 weeks. His adult coat is just coming in so it will just be a gentle introduction this time around to the whole grooming process

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Nov-17 21:57:48

I have started learning hand stripping since my girl needed doing. It absolutely shouldn't hurt as you are literally pinching dead hair and pulling it out. Wolfiepup isn't keen on her ears being done because she had ear infections a while ago but the rest she doesn't worry about.
My mum does her dog whilst the dog is sleeping on the sofa next to her.
I don't know about the keeping them warm thing. It's dead hair so itchy rather than warm I think.
I wouldn't leave my dog outside as I would be scared she would be stolen!

Elphame Tue 21-Nov-17 22:20:41

If he's never been stripped then the coat will be blown and most of it will go during the process so yes he may well feel the cold for a few weeks until the coat grows back.

My dogs have never been kept outside either so it hasn't been an issue.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 21-Nov-17 22:32:16

I have learnt to strip my girls, it’s easy and quite relaxing and not at all painful or uncomfortable for them. If it is uncomfortable it means the hair isn’t ready to come out. Their coat looks amazing after a good strip, it really brings out the best in them.

Thebluedog Wed 22-Nov-17 08:08:57

Thanks for the replies... I think I’ll have him done when I know I’ll be home for a few weeks so I don’t have to leave him in the old with a new hair cut, so to speak grin

Swizzlesticks23 Thu 23-Nov-17 13:36:20

Why are your dogs kept outside ?

Pinkponiesrock Thu 23-Nov-17 13:42:49

Dogs can be perfectly happy outside swizzle I’m sure it’s not chained up in a bare concrete square, the dog is probably in a secure run with shelter, bedding and water.
Our dog is outside at night and during the day if he’s filthy but he has two beds and a heat lamp so he’s perfectly happy.

Pinkponiesrock Thu 23-Nov-17 13:45:47

Back to topic, hand stripping is not painful at all and it’s so much better for their coats than clipping.
When we had borders the oldies got clipped though plus one that had been in an accident when she was young and had nerve damage on her side so she couldn’t tolerate the sensation of being stripped.
Definitely noticed them being smellier and greasier when clipped as it’s not taking the dead hair out the same.

Swizzlesticks23 Thu 23-Nov-17 14:03:37

I’m sure it’s not chained up in a bare concrete square

Sorry I must have missed the part of my question when I said that. Oh wait I didn't. hmm

BertrandRussell Thu 23-Nov-17 14:08:34

Borders need to be hand stripped rather than clipped or it spoils their coats. It doesn't hurt as it's dead hair. Mine doesn't like having her face done so they use scissors, but she seems to quite like it- or maybe it's the treats the groomer lays on!

BertrandRussell Thu 23-Nov-17 14:10:47

Thewolf-did you go on a course or learn online or what?

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Nov-17 14:20:24

Me? I'm still learning!
Breeder showed me. I haven't learnt how to "roll" the coat yet but hand stripping really isn't a difficult process. (Although to do a truly professional job of course takes training.)
Must be videos online. Saw one of how to strip a wolfhound head. Just be careful what you google!!

BertrandRussell Thu 23-Nov-17 16:55:52

Just been YouTubing. It doesn't look hard- but oh, heavens, the hair!

I think I'll carry on paying out mega bucks to the groomer twice a year!

LittlePearl Thu 23-Nov-17 17:12:24

I had a go at doing our last BT myself but it really made my hand ache (and thumb sore) after a while.

My groomer charges £35 for hand-strip, bath, nails etc but given that it's only twice a year it's worth every penny.

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Nov-17 17:41:22

A wolfhound takes 10 hours. It won't cost £35!
Hence I'm trying to learn. I do a bit at a time. When outside. No mess.

Thebluedog Sun 26-Nov-17 17:30:24

Bathed him today and then set about him with a comb and he looks so much better, got loads of dead hair off him and he looks decidedly proud of himself grin, I clipped the odd bit of matted hair and bum hair. I don’t think I’ve got it all off but it’s a start and I’ll have another go tomorrow. He actually seemed to like it..

As for leaving him outside. He has access to the garage, along with a lovely garden to run around in, dig, go to the loo in, the garage has a sofa in it and an oil filled radiator, along with the company of my other dog, so it’s hardly squalor. I work from home most of the time but on the odd occasion I have to go out this is where he goes, rather than being cooped up in his crate or house.

Wolfiefan Sun 26-Nov-17 19:52:53

Good he likes it. A bit at a time is a good thing. Too much and he could get fed up.

I wouldn't leave mine outside. An unspayed pedigree bitch would be a target for thieves, she might bark and annoy the neighbours and she would eat the garden (nope not an exaggeration! grin)

Thebluedog Mon 27-Nov-17 08:39:16

He’s a border crossed with a Lakeland so not that attractive to theives, I leave a noise recorder out now and again as I’m paranoid he’ll annoy the neighbours with his barking but he’s not too bad, only when the postman arrives tbh. The lawn however now has more holes in it than grass and as for my lovely borders - let’s just say I think he’s on his way to Australia grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now