Talk

Advanced search

Chihuahua just bit toddler

(118 Posts)
jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 21:40:58

My chi just bit my toddler on the face and either side of his nose he has a scratch. Ds did nothing to provoke this all he did was run towards me and the dog just bit him. Wwud? Should I rehome the dog as he he quite protective of me anyway. I’m heartbroken as ds is hurt but I know in my heart I have to get rid of the dog. Anybody’s advice would be welcome now.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 21:58:55

Helpful bump please

Wolfiefan Mon 20-Nov-17 22:00:34

Was the dog sleeping or startled? How did it bite a running child on their face? Did the child fall on it?

LEMtheoriginal Mon 20-Nov-17 22:02:46

What interaction does your d's have with the Dog? Does your dog have a quiet space to go? He may be feeling overwhelmed by tour d's?

It's a tough call. Dog homes are full of Chihuahuas as people rarely understand this breed. They are actually pretty feisty Bourne out of anxiety

flapjackfairy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:03:19

Very sorry to say but you have no option really. It is too much of a risk and you will never forgive yourself if anything worse happens.
It is heartbreaking i know .

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:04:42

The dog was lying next to me on the sofa. I think he was startled as ds came running at me and may have frightened the dog he’s quite a nervous dog as he’s a rescue and I’ve no idea what he went trough before I got him. He’s been fine since we got him about a year ago. He managed to get ds right on the nose.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:08:36

Ds leaves the dog alone really doesn’t really bother with him. Maybe give him a fuss now and again as we have another dog a shih tzu who is ds shadow in case of any dropped food! Chi has a crate he can go in to keep away if needs be and goes upstairs when things are to much for him as as his breed he can get anxious.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:11:30

I’m not trying to protect the dog ds comes for first and if I have to dog will be rehomed. I know a couple with no children and a lovely home who will take him if he has to go. I won’t just give him away to anybody. I will really miss him though

bottlesandcans Mon 20-Nov-17 22:13:29

Dog isn't suitiable for your family. Get it rehomed or be fully responsible for a terrible injury to your DC in the future.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:17:35

Can I post a pic of the bite.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:18:13

Ds nose

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:18:59

I know he isn’t he’s going to have to go. sad

bottlesandcans Mon 20-Nov-17 22:20:12

I'm sorry. I know it very distressing for you.

Keep them seperated and sleep on it.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:21:51

He is a such a loving dog but maybe he isn’t suitable for a family with young children.

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 20-Nov-17 22:22:03

If he came from a rescue then you really should be approaching them for help with both his behaviour and finding him a new home.

If they don’t have a behaviourist they work with routinely then you can either get a referral or go through one of these organisations to be sure you’re getting someone decent. They can give you a much better appraisal of his behaviour than we can on a forum and also help you manage things safely for everyone involved either long term or until the rescue can take him/a new home is found.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 20-Nov-17 22:22:45

I’m very surprised the rescue homed him with you when you had a baby confused

You need to go back to them for advice

SleightOfMind Mon 20-Nov-17 22:23:17

That’s tough. You would have to go back to ground zero with rules for dog and DS and getting DS involved in all the good stuff - feeding, training, affection, being in charge of toys, lots of treats etc.

We have a nervous aggressive rescue and 4DCs.
It’s been a long haul but she’s been through so much and was trying so hard. Noone wanted to give up on her.
She’s great now but is still an unknown quantity around guests and has to be managed carefully.
It’s not fun in a busy household like ours but I have hope that she’ll continue to improve.

How will you cope when DS has his friends over? You can definitely fix the problem she has with him but can you manage her around children she doesn’t know, who aren’t dog savvy?
Could you crate train her to keep everyone safe?

Mishappening Mon 20-Nov-17 22:23:19

Get rid of it. This is a warning shot across the bows - heed it.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:23:27

I will look into those. And maybe take him vets incase he has any pain anywhere.

Sarahh2014 Mon 20-Nov-17 22:26:26

I have a Chihuahua and he too will snap if feels threatened my 3 yr old has had a couple of nips but it was because he was purposefully winding the dog up ( I saw it) if it dog is otherwise passive I wouldn't 're home just be careful how it son is around him x

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:26:46

I think I’m going to rehome him I can’t risk it. Imagine if whilst training he goes for him again. It’s really shook me up. Ds did nothing wrong and there was no way of me even avoiding it not even a growl. I’d be a nervous wreak and it’s not fair on the dog to be crated 24/7

Thetreesareallgone Mon 20-Nov-17 22:27:14

Our neighbours had a chihuahua and it bit everyone, the whole family, it was such a bitey thing and very anxious, our children were allowed to play with their other dogs but not the chihuahua. Sorry, that doesn't help you much, but it doesn't sound like it will be a one off.

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:28:31

How can such a tiny dog be so angry?

Thetreesareallgone Mon 20-Nov-17 22:30:14

Perhaps it's fear, not anger, I am not a dog expert though. I used to dog sit for a chihuahua and that was very barky/nippy as well. I'm sure there are some calm ones out there. If you have a good child-free home for the dog to go to, surely that's best for everyone (but sad for you).

jacrispy Mon 20-Nov-17 22:35:04

I know a couple who would have him. Ds is going to have to go hospital tomorrow now for a tetanus as he’s never had one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now