Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend decent warm wellies for dog walking!

(37 Posts)
StarlightSlippers Sat 18-Nov-17 11:01:10

I need some really warm wellies - preferably fleece lined, waterproof, and not full length, just a bit taller than Chelsea boots. I have been looking at muck boots but they are around £100 - worth it or not? Any other recommendations?

Elphame Sat 18-Nov-17 12:01:10

I have some £10 cheapies which I wear with a pair of thin socks and a pair of those fleecy Joules socks. I'm far too mean to pay much for them although I do have a hankering for a pair of Hunters!

rightsaidfrederickII Sat 18-Nov-17 12:04:48

I just wear walking boots, which keep my feet warm and dry - unless you go wading through streams and they get overtopped you don't need wellies as such

Dontfuckingsaycheese Sat 18-Nov-17 12:08:04

I got a cheap pair from Sports Direct. 6 years later they're still watertight. Every so often I treat myself to some new insoles and wear thick bushy thermal socks (keep a pair in the car) for cold days. Feet are lovely and toasty. So I second @Elphame :-)

Dontfuckingsaycheese Sat 18-Nov-17 12:08:48

I do wade through streams.

pleasestopsnoring Sat 18-Nov-17 12:26:59

insoles and welly liners are your friend in this situation. You could spend £££ on some leather welly boots or get a good pair of liners. I wear mine without socks so no my toes don't eat my socks.

Wolfiefan Sat 18-Nov-17 12:29:38

I tried on some Aigle Parcours. I WANT them! For now it's cheap wellies or Brasher walking boots.
People always say Dubarry but that I can't justify.

BiteyShark Sat 18-Nov-17 12:38:12

I know you said you didnt want full length but I did invest in a pair of Le Chameau ones and yes I did wince at the cost but they are lined and waterproof so great for big muddy fields or streams and I can walk for hours in them without my feet hurting which was the most important thing for me.

daisychicken Sat 18-Nov-17 12:51:58

I have the long length neoprene muddies and have had them since they first came out so a few years... best wellies ever! I have mild raynaulds and used to have allotment with chickens so outside in all weathers plus walk dogs twice a day.. I still wear an extra pair of socks but my feet stay warm and I don't get a 'raynauld attack' in even the worst weather. Ive also walked a fair few miles across fields in them with the dogs and don't have the falling down socks issue that I have on other wellies (cheap or otherwise). I wouldn't go back to a different brand now but..

I've just bought some butterfly twist ankle boot wellies for walking in damp but not fill wellie weather and so far, I am impressed. Good price too!

butterflytwists.com/collections/wellies-rain-boots/products/eton-black-white-wellies-rain-boots

daisychicken Sat 18-Nov-17 12:53:01

'not full wellie weather' blush

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Sat 18-Nov-17 14:39:37

I wear walking boots too with thick socks in for extra warmth/comfort. I have never been able to walk far in wellies - they don't breathe and are clammy and horrible and cold and your socks migrate off your feet slowly. Walking boots are best but you must clean the mud off them every day or they will rot. My wellies are just for going down the garden in.

Floralnomad Sat 18-Nov-17 15:23:36

I have both Aigles and Dublin River Boots , neither are a cheap,option but they wear well and last a long time IME . My old Dublin’s have just been binned today after approx 5 years of 2/3 hours daily wear in mud for at least 7/8 months of the year .

OhWotIsItThisTime Sat 18-Nov-17 17:00:46

I’ve got these - they’re light, comfy, easy to get on and warm:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XGYSXSD/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?keywords=lightweight+wellies&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1511024387&sr=8-11

bigsighall Sat 18-Nov-17 17:07:39

Try a rugger boot (rigger boot?) like the builders wear. Not too tall, nice and warm and good foot support. They are also not slippy!!

MarchionessOfMayhem Sat 18-Nov-17 17:08:26

These are from matalan and amazing! I've had mine for about 5 years and they still look new, I stick them in the washing machine every few months and they come up Lovely and clean. They're quilted so very warm!

www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2657872_c101/quilted-wellies-black

noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 18-Nov-17 18:33:15

I love my Aigles parcours - they’ve lasted two years so far with no sign they’re going to give up the ghost any time soon. They are unbelievably comfortable to walk in - no slipping or sliding off of socks (although the downside is I had to get a welly removal thingy - only a few quod from amazon). I’ve got full length ones and dh has short ones which are equally good

snackerextraordinaire Sat 18-Nov-17 20:46:58

I prefer my Dunlop wellies with fluffy Joules sucks to my Dubarries! I am selling them as they are uncomfortable. I tried the neoprene hunters but too high at the back of my knees. I am not short, how can anyone walk in them. I will stick with my Dunlops.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 18-Nov-17 21:54:01

Anything with a neoprene lining will keep your feet really warm. My wellies were about £60ish and I can be out all day and my feet won’t get cold.

Kellyfgp Sun 19-Nov-17 04:44:16

Absolutely love my aigle parcours for warmth and comfort but my dubarrys are just as comfy and much lighter smile

Plentyoffishnets Sun 19-Nov-17 06:04:11

I've got these and they're like a pair of slippers...I often keep them on all day! Very good value https://www.decathlon.co.uk/glenarm-womens-warm-low-wellies-black-id_8339497.html

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 19-Nov-17 06:37:33

You mentioned Muckboots. I have these and they are great...comfortable for walking, warm and very hardy. My first pair lasted for years...until I trod on a nail that went right through and they started to leak. I bought a new pair straight away.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 19-Nov-17 06:39:07

There’s more...I also have Dubarry Galway...not nearly so comfortable and only warm if I add a liner sock.

StarlightSlippers Sun 19-Nov-17 07:27:05

Brilliant, thanks for all the recommendations, I'll check them all out today!

GrumpyOldFucker Sun 19-Nov-17 07:47:59

@BiteyShark ditto, I can walk for hours in mine. They also look pretty much the same as when I bought them, apart from the mud.

KinkyAfro Sun 19-Nov-17 19:41:13

I know they are hated on MN but I love my mid calf Hunters, I wear with bog standard wellie socks and can walk for miles in them. I've had them 8 years and bar a few scuffs they are good as new, no leaks and not worn down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now