Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best dog chew

(11 Posts)
sleepingdogslying Sat 11-Nov-17 12:00:30

I have always given my dogs beef ribs, but I think they are making my new very small terrier constipated, I also have another dog (staffie x) with powerful jaws so I’d like to find another type of chew that can withstand her chewing.

I have looked at reindeer antlers and Himalayan dog chews. Are they worth the money?

We already have a kong and nylon bones, but I would prefer something natural.

Elphame Sat 11-Nov-17 12:05:26

My terrier pup adores his antler chew. He ignores the nylabone and isn't much into his kong but the antler is my "go to" when he just has to chew (which is most of the time). I have the split one which is an easier chew for a small mouth than a whole one and it's been worth every penny

PhatSlag Sat 11-Nov-17 12:06:27

Himaylan ones are gone in about 30 mins so they definitely love them but they are expensive to then only last such a short time.
Antlers are good as are buffalo horns. Chew Roots are also one that PhatDog chews over and over and lasts for months. He also still loves his Nylabone. That’s very well chewed.

Oops4 Sat 11-Nov-17 13:36:11

Antlers go down well here too

TheHodgeoftheHedge Tue 14-Nov-17 15:43:14

Mine have also liked ChewRoots (which is a sort of wood chew thing) and Tasty Bones

missbattenburg Wed 15-Nov-17 09:32:08

Antlers very popular here too...

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Wed 15-Nov-17 11:16:58

Mine like chew roots (surprisingly strong) and the even stronger coffee wood chews. www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/coffeewood-chews/ .

They also like Kong's (mostly the star type shape - with arms sticking out all around making it like a ball - I'll see if I can find a link in a min)

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Wed 15-Nov-17 11:22:59

Here it is. It's the Kong jump n jack

www.amazon.co.uk/KONG-JumpN-Jack-Dog-Toy/dp/B0009YD7O8?tag=mumsnetforum-21

CMOTDibbler Wed 15-Nov-17 11:31:29

Mine like cow hooves (I know some people don't like them, but we've had no problems and at 50p each we can have a gazillion round the house as my dogs like to hide things and can't remember where they are), and one particular nylabone type. Kongs get thrown around, but if they don't have anything in, they don't get chewed.

I might get them a buffalo horn, but I am loathe to get them an antler only for it to get buried in the garden or lost under the sofas/bed

madasamarchhare Wed 15-Nov-17 12:29:21

Antler here or bull horn. My mad cockapoo plays with his as much as he chews it. Lovely to watch.

TattyCat Wed 15-Nov-17 19:31:23

How do antlers and chew roots affect their teeth? If they are really hard, I'd be worried about broken/chipped teeth. And although the chewroots don't splinter, do the dogs swallow the bits?

I bought TattyDog a nylabone but it's just too hard for her (and she's a lab!) so she's clearly a 'softer' chewer, so I'm loathe to give it to her again. It was really expensive at about £15 too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now