Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2nd dog or not?

(11 Posts)
ThespianTendencies Sat 11-Nov-17 11:42:02

I have a 5 year old rescue lab (got him at 11 weeks) and am considering a second dog - also a rescue pup. What the pros and cons or two dogs? Major down side for me is actually the cost of dog care when I go on holiday. Other than than I cannot think of a reason not to. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions though please.

ToesInWater Sun 12-Nov-17 06:27:16

Can you bring the new dog home for a trial just to make sure they get on before you commit?

We got a second dog when our eldest was three as I was out of the house a bit more than when we first had her and thought she would like the company. Best thing we ever did, only downside is cost (two lots of pet insurance is the killer but we had a bad experience previously so I wouldn’t be without it). I love watching our two snuggle up together.

ThespianTendencies Sun 12-Nov-17 20:57:09

Toesinwater Thank you for your input - I would want to get a smaller dog as a companion as I don't want to add another big dog here. I also have my dog insured and definitely would do the same with another dog - vets costs are terrifying! I saw a beautiful partially sighted rescue pup from Many Tears but I would have had to have travelled to Wales to see her and that is just a tad too far as I don't drive on motorways - but she was so beautiful. did you find any initial troubles or difficulties you hadn't considered before your 2nd dog arrived?

Wolfiefan Sun 12-Nov-17 21:01:39

Do you have the space to separate them if you have to?
Can you manage to walk them separately if you have to?
What about training too?
I've only got one but grew up with two.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sun 12-Nov-17 21:05:02

We had ddog1for 4 years. Then got a puppy, then a month later got another puppy (sounds mad but was a method to it!) All get on brilliantly, luckily!!
Really didn't think she would have accepted and actually enjoy being with other dogs quite as much!!

ToesInWater Sun 12-Nov-17 21:48:29

Our second was a puppy. He slept in our bathroom for the first few weeks (older dog sleeps in the laundry, as they both do now) as he was so small it seemed sensible not to leave them alone overnight until we were sure they were ok together. We never had any problems.

Oops4 Sun 12-Nov-17 21:53:12

We added a second border terrier when our first was about a year old. We never intended to get two but it was clear our first really needed a doggy companion. So we basically bought our dog a dog! It honestly couldn't have worked out better for us. Our first is like a different dog. He's not quite as needy although we do now have two little faces following us around rather then just one. They get on really well and after the first day were sharing a crate. It's really nice having two wee crazies greeting you when you come in and I don't feel as guilty when I have to pop out for a couple of hours.

But it probably really depends on your dog. As I said we got the second for the first. The first is dog daft and loves every canine he meets. His favourite time is when he is at doggy day care and gets to run wild with a field of dogs and also loved it when people came to stay with their dogs. So we knew it was very unlikely that he wouldn't get on with a new dog. Plus they are fairly close in age so are fairly evenly matched in their energy/desire to play levels. We've also got small dogs so two is really no more intrusive than one. It is double the cost in most respects but I would check out a few boarding places. Our day care does boarding and we get a significant discount with two.

ThespianTendencies Mon 13-Nov-17 12:33:22

Thank you all - I am 99% certain that I will get another dog now. I think the expense is more of an obstacle than the practicalities really as I work from home and can basically build my days around dog and cat care. I have a regular dog walker/carer for the occasions when I am out for longer than 3 hours so any new dog would go with her too. I'm really excited now! I am also considering a rescue dog so not necessarily a puppy - one of the same or similar age to my labrador.

StandardPoodle Mon 13-Nov-17 19:23:42

We got our second dog when Rescuegirl was 8. The recommendation seemed to be go for opposite sex so the male standard poodle puppy joined us.
It was the best thing we ever did (after rescuing the older girl).
The pup attached himself to Rescuegirl and she seemed mildly bemused but was so good with him. The pup came almost fully house trained but he copied the older one and went out to wee etc. The rescue has a fast recall and the pup copied - his recall is immediate and like an exocet.
Provided the dogs get on, it's very rewarding - they can do doggy thongs together and it's lovely watching them interact.
The old rescue is definitely the boss though!

ThespianTendencies Mon 13-Nov-17 21:40:58

Thank you all - I am going to start another thread to see if anyone has experience of adopting an ex breeding dog. You have all be most helpful :-)

ThespianTendencies Wed 15-Nov-17 21:29:10

Wish me luck....I am waiting on an answer to adopt this little rescue pup <3 www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=20598

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now