Talk

Advanced search

Friend for schnauzer?

(4 Posts)
Unicornsandrainbows3 Sat 11-Nov-17 04:59:34

I'd live to get Mr 2.5 yr old Schnauzer a friend. We had a much older shih tzu but lost him when schnauzer was a pup. He loved him and missed him when he died. Ideally I'd like to get a cuddly dog for my ASD child as well as a friend for our dog. Mr Independent can be cuddly, but only on his terms and is very different from the quiet, shadow snuggler schnauzers that I grew up with. Is there a particular breed/age/sex I should be looking at?

BiteyShark Sat 11-Nov-17 07:04:28

Personally I think all dogs (even of the same breed) have their own personalities and some will just not want to be cuddled unless on their terms. My spaniel is lovely, friendly and very tolerant but if he isn't in a cuddly mood he will let me know and moves away.

tabulahrasa Sat 11-Nov-17 07:55:23

The best way to guarantee a cuddly dog is to look for an adult rescue, that way you're not having to hope for the best when a puppy grows up, you're getting a dog where you already know which behavioural traits it has.

If you want to look at breeders instead, look at what the dogs were originally bred for, ones bred purely as companions are your best bet.

tinymeteor Sat 11-Nov-17 17:56:07

Our beagle is the biggest cuddle monkey I have ever met. They're not an easy breed in many ways, but the cuddles are a huge payoff. (Apparently the males are especially affectionate - females more independent temperaments on the whole.) He also gets on very well with a schnauzer the dog walker has introduced him to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now