Talk

Advanced search

Calm diet

(6 Posts)
Beamur Fri 10-Nov-17 20:23:56

I've taken my very sweet rescue dog to the vets this week. She's quite timid and for as long as I've known her she nibbles her feet. No mites or any obvious problems. She doesn't generally hurt herself, but did make her foot sore recently when upset by fireworks.
The vet has also noticed some hyper pigmentation and ear wax in one ear and has suggested a special diet would help.
Does anyone have any advice on this? Vet suggested Royal Canin (but they obviously have some kind of relationship with them, although suggested I could buy it online)

nooka Sat 11-Nov-17 03:47:25

We've used the Canin calm variety for our cats quite effectively (for peeing issues). We're using CBD (hemp) for our dog with the fireworks. It took a while to get the dosage right but it's quite quick acting and wears off fairly fast too so easy to figure out.

bulldogmum Sat 11-Nov-17 04:49:45

There’s a website called all about dog food which gives you excellent info on each food type and ratings and lists out ingredients.

Royal cabin I believe has quite a lot of ‘fillers’ and there are lots of high quality dry foods that would be better...also gives you info on the wet and raw food brands.
We feed our dog raw which isn’t for everyone but he thrives on it. He had stomach issues when on dry but there are some great ones...canagan, aatu, the James wellbeloved fish & potato is also highly rated. But have a look on that website, you can pop in your dogs age, size, breed etc and it can give recommendations.

BiteyShark Sat 11-Nov-17 07:22:08

Maybe look at what is so special about the royal canin one and use allaboutdogfood.co.uk to see what others might be available with the same type of ingredients.

bluebells1 Sat 11-Nov-17 07:32:19

Please don't buy royal canin!! It is one of the worst dog foods. Please follow the previous suggestions and use This site to figure out a good product.

Beamur Sun 12-Nov-17 19:34:51

Thank you. I will have a look at the website.
I feed my cats James Wellbeloved and they like it (a lot).
The vet pointed out the Canin one has tryptophan in it, to which I commented that turkey is known to be high in this (makes you sleepy apparently) and I did wonder if simply giving dog some fresh turkey would have the same effect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now