Talk

Advanced search

Yorkie sudden aggression??

(10 Posts)
DueNov Fri 10-Nov-17 12:56:51

Need some advice on my oldest yorkie. He is just over a year old and always been fine with my house cats. They are ragdolls so bigger than him anyway. But lately whenever they enter a room I am in he's ready to pounce and goes for them nastily. It's getting on my nerves having to break it up and I don't understand why he's suddenly doing it

I am pregnant but have been for 9 months and he's been fine up until the last 2 weeks id say!

Any advice appreciated.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 10-Nov-17 13:44:57

He's a terrier and they were breed for their prey drive (I think yorkies were breed to catch rats in the woollen mills, they were small enough to run under the mills etc).

He doing what comes naturally to him and in some dogs this increases as they mature. Would advise a professional trainer to work with you and him.

DueNov Fri 10-Nov-17 13:46:49

Why has he been fine up to now though. He has been neutured. His barking has become progressively worse since being pregnant and he growls at anyone on a walk now that I'm pregnant to it's embarrassing.

OhWotIsItThisTime Fri 10-Nov-17 15:04:19

He’s not in pain at all? Otherwise get in a behaviourist.

It could be lots of reasons - less tolerant as he gets older, maybe he’s getting less attention as you’ve got bigger, anything.

But you need to sort this out with a baby on the way.

DueNov Fri 10-Nov-17 20:16:10

It's only happened the last two weeks I'm not see whether he can sense she's near coming as he's always been fine.

He's not in pain no he's had a check up recently an I have been in touch with a behaviourist as our groomer is also one. She has said she thinks he's sensing my hormones and that a big change is happening.. I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced similar on here and had other explanations.

It's not every time. Tonight he has been fine with them weirdly.

OhWotIsItThisTime Fri 10-Nov-17 20:26:10

Try posting in chat for more responses. Think of a heading like ‘did your dog go weird when you were pregnant?’.

AWholeLottaRosie Fri 10-Nov-17 20:52:05

Our dog became more aggressive after being neutered, could it be that?

Booboostwo Fri 10-Nov-17 20:52:42

Dogs do react to pregnancy hormones. My bitch was awful through most of my pregnancy, stressy, attached to me, sensitive, etc. she went back to normal the moment I gave birth. It's certainly a possibility.

BillyDaveysDaughter Fri 10-Nov-17 20:57:00

I'm with Wot, this could be pain related - by dog became suddenly aggressive at 18 months, she'd herniated a disc in her spine. We didn't know that at the time, but we do now she's 10!

They are very good at hiding pain.

However...your evolving hormones could also be an issue. Definitely talk to an accredited behaviourist, one that uses only positive training methods.

DueNov Fri 10-Nov-17 22:31:34

Thanks all.

He was neutured 6 months ago so I think if it was that he would have became aggressive before now? Vets said he was the picture of health. Checked him all over felt his hips legs and checked teeth etc. He's calmed down in many other 3ays it's strange that he's suddenly aggressive to the cats!

I will get a second opinion from another behaviourist though just to put my mind at rest. Really hope it's just my hormones.

My sister's jack Russel bitch is petrified of me. She runs away from me or looks at me and shakes violently. She's always loved me up until the last 4 weeks. She even weed on their bed whilst I was there. She's never weed in the house in the 10 years they've had her. However her male Jack Russell is the opposite and doesn't leave me alone or stop licking me.

My sister thinks I'm carrying the devil 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now