Talk

Advanced search

Doggy DNA testing

(25 Posts)
Cherrypie32 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:04:53

We adopted our lovely boy in Feb, he was described as a collie cross. He's very unusual looking and everyone likes to have a guess at his breed make up. Curiousity is really getting to me and I'm thinking of using an online DNA test. Had anyone got any experience of doing this or can recommend a test?

Haffdonga Wed 08-Nov-17 22:06:58

You cant say that and not put a pic. It's against site rules. Fact.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Wed 08-Nov-17 22:11:25

Nope, no picture no answer. Rules are rules grin

Bubble2bubble Wed 08-Nov-17 22:14:12

I know a lot of people are sceptical but I have done this for two of my dogs and am sure the results were accurate.
Now we need that photo please grin

Inig0M0nt0ya Wed 08-Nov-17 22:19:17

A friend had her dog DNA'd and it really fitted him, they found it comforting to know exactly what he was, and that they were right that the cross he was supposed to be didn't fit.

Cherrypie32 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:19:38

Wow, such a quick response, I'll just look through now and put one up!

CandyMelts Wed 08-Nov-17 22:23:35

I remember them being on Amazon on black Friday before if it's worth waiting to buy. Wish I'd done one on our boy before he passed

Cherrypie32 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:28:22

So, he's a similar size to a lab but very slim. And those ears! We like to joke he is a dingo and then actually found a breed called a Carolina dog which is a domestic version.

foofooyeah Wed 08-Nov-17 22:32:20

Handsome dude! Surely must have a bit of German Shephard with those ears!

ProfessorCat Wed 08-Nov-17 22:33:26

He looks a bit Lab x Akita to me!

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 08-Nov-17 22:33:38

Embark is the best of the lot but it is very expensive.

Most of them are really just for a bit of fun and the accuracy is extremely variable. As a general rule they’re more accurate the fewer breeds that are involved in a mix.

I did a Wisdom Panel one for DDog2 last year (got it cheap on Black Friday) and the results were hilariously stupid grin

ChipIn Wed 08-Nov-17 22:34:16

Did it for our rescue girl and found she was three breeds, one of her parents was a cross, which was why we couldn’t quite pick what she was. Did it through our vet for $120, I think it was.

Cherrypie32 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:34:25

However, if he's not that exotic there's most likely some German shepherd 😉

Haffdonga Wed 08-Nov-17 22:40:38

No idea but he's gorgeous. Thanks for the pics. smile

Bubble2bubble Wed 08-Nov-17 22:41:38

Ooh fabulous ears! Yep, definitely a dingowink

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 08-Nov-17 22:42:28

I'd say Spitz x Lab/collie

Bubble2bubble Wed 08-Nov-17 22:43:27

Though most lab/GSD crosses end up to be bigger than a lab IME..

Bubble2bubble Wed 08-Nov-17 22:45:05

My money would be on lab x collie x GSD

Cherrypie32 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:56:33

Ah thanks everyone. In reality, as he's not from Oz, the GSD but is most likely as he was apparently living with one where he was rescued from (I imagine one of his parents). Some of his character traits really match this too. He reminds me of both lab and collie in temperament as these are breeds I have experience of. He's a great family dog and we love him to bits so whatever is in the mix it works! For fun I think I will look out for the Black Friday deal for DNA anyway.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Thu 09-Nov-17 12:59:06

I want to do this too and have looked on Amazon - kits seem to be 50-60 pounds range

graziemille Thu 09-Nov-17 13:06:46

We did it with Wisdom as our DD bought us a dog which clearly wasn't what was sold to her. We found it really good and it's so obvious now what our pup actually is.

stonecircle Thu 09-Nov-17 13:10:20

Did the wisdom dna test last year for our 2 rescues and the results seem very credible.

nooka Thu 09-Nov-17 19:01:12

I've thought about testing our dog but I watched some YouTube video on testing and the tests being used only seemed to go back two generations with some 'unknowns' so seemed a bit pointless for our pup who is I am sure from a line of mutts. All we know is that his mum was apparently an American Water Spaniel, but I think it's highly unlikely that she was a pure breed as it's a rare breed and ddog looks nothing like one (although some of his litter had curly hair). Most people think he's a lab cross because of his colouring but we've had all sorts of guesses.

astridforty Sun 12-Nov-17 08:51:52

We’ve just done the wisdom panel test for our rescue pup and results seem bang on. We were told by rescue bichon x pug and results have come back bichon/ poodle x pug. £48 I think on Amazon

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Sun 12-Nov-17 13:56:12

Just read the "bad" reviews on Amazon for Wisdom test - some people knew the parentage of their dogs and one had bred his dog himself and all got extremely wrong answers on parentage. One was told parents of dog were purebred when she knew they were crossbreeds. I am put off that make at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now