Talk

Advanced search

Pooping hysteria?!

(7 Posts)
Pombliboo123 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:23:21

This is really starting to drive me nuts now it's getting very cold at nights and quite often raining etc

But of a back story, stupid me... wasn't very strict with toilet training when little dog was a puppy. She had numerous health issues and for a while we thought we wouldn't have long with her at all. As such I was very lax with her training. Totally my fault. Hands up.

Anyway she made a full recovery and then toilet training was even more difficult because I had left it for so long but we pretty much got there in the end.

Now however, when she needs to poop... she goes mental. Spins round and round at such a speed, zooms left and right, leaps up in the air and repeat for usually around 25 -30 minutes until it seems like she can't keep it in anymore then finally goes (also saddled whilst she's going which makes it a hoot to pick up hmm)

Initially I thought she did it because she really didn't want to go outside as had gotten used to going on the puppy pads (again, I know - never again!) But it's been almost a year of going outside and she still does it.

I live in a first floor flat without an enclosed garden, so have to stand outside with her on a lead whilst she conducts this bizarre poo ritual and it's getting me down standing out there in the cold and rain getting soaked before bed.

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to just poop when she needs to without this hooha or will this be my life forever now?

Pombliboo123 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:25:24

Waddling not saddled...

WeAllHaveWings Wed 08-Nov-17 21:59:37

Do you have to stand outside for 30 mins, if you walked her briskly for 30 minutes to get things moving would she do it quicker? Or take her somewhere where she can poo offlead? My dog hates pooing with a close audience, prefers privacy.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Wed 08-Nov-17 22:19:05

Hmm, I wonder if a change of routine may halp. My one year old doesn’t need to poo last thing at night if she has had a short brisk walk at about 6-7pm, she just needs a wee before bed. It may bee that her last meal has to be a little earlier in the afternoon.
I agree standing or even walking in the dark and rain just before bedtime is not ideal.

BiteyShark Thu 09-Nov-17 05:48:11

Most dogs including mine that I know of seem to need to be 'active' to poo. Taking mine for a walk on or off lead helps but when he's in the garden he trots or runs around before being able to go.

In the evening I would takes yours for a walk and if possible some off lead play which will encourage her to go so she won't need to poo again until the morning.

namechange2222 Thu 09-Nov-17 05:57:04

Mine makes a real meal out of having a poo too if just in the ( huge) garden. But the minute I put her lead on and take her for a walk, even if just round the block, she has no issues

Pombliboo123 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:23:42

Thanks for your advice, will try and change up the routine... she doesn't seem to go on walks, too many interesting things to see and smell to stop and poop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now