Talk

Advanced search

Elderly dog & toilet issues

(8 Posts)
sooperdooper Wed 08-Nov-17 09:07:45

Our fairly old dog has started having a lot of poo accidents in the house, quite often its when he's been in his bed and we don't realise until it's already happened, we think it's just happening when he's asleep or just doesn't even realise sad

It's happened as well when we're here and the back door is open, it's like he maybe just can't let us know in time or just doesn't know sad

I've been to the vets with him but they weren't much use, did some blood tests which didn't throw up anything but offered no advice on the actual issue

His food hasn't changed, he's on a good quality one, and our routine hasn't changed and he's still keen on going for a walk

sooperdooper Wed 08-Nov-17 09:08:35

Oops posted too soon, anyone else been through this? Any advice? Is it just an issue around old age?

JaneEyre70 Wed 08-Nov-17 09:46:49

Our lovely lab got like that towards the end, she simply couldn't control her bowels. She got really distressed by it too, and often poop would just come out when she was walking through the house. It was never her bladder though, just bowels. I hate to say but it's probably a sign that he's heading towards the end of his days.

sooperdooper Wed 08-Nov-17 10:49:26

I was worried this was the case, he's the same, never has bladder issues sad

He's almost 14 so he is getting on now, but he's still quite bright in himself

Sad times sad

olliegarchy99 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:16:06

what jane said
my 14 year old lurcher was like this in the last few months of his life (sadly he had to be pts when he collapsed in the summer) - it was as if he was not aware he needed to 'go' and it could happen even if he had just been outside for a toilet walk. Hand hold here sad

washingmachinefastwash Wed 08-Nov-17 14:32:41

Has he been checked by the vet? Even with his age, sudden incontinence should be checked out incase of infection.

I’m sorry he’s getting on now. I’m sure he’s had a very happy life with you.

We lost one of our dogs in February, he was elderly (although much younger than your pooch) and he was double incontinent overnight. He was sadly pts a week later as he was very poorly.

sooperdooper Wed 08-Nov-17 22:37:55

Yes, I did say in my OP, he has been seen by the vet, they've done blood tests that didn't show any issues and didn't offer any other advice sad

BehindLockNumberNine Thu 09-Nov-17 20:24:20

Our elderly lurcher has the same problem. She will poo when getting up off her bed, or whilst eating - she simply cannot control it. She's been like this for nearly 2 years.
Her hind legs have gone a bit saggy too and she drags her rear left every 10 steps or so and is beginning to wear her claws on that paw down.
Today she went out in the garden, came back in the house and promptly weed on the kitchen floor. First time ever for that one.
She's still happy, loves walks, so I'm loathe to think she could be nearing old age....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now