Talk

Advanced search

If this was your dog, what would you call her?

(78 Posts)
ProfessorPickles Mon 06-Nov-17 13:11:00

If this was your dog, what would you call her?

I like:

Wanda
Wilma/Wilmer
Maggie
Martha
Pepper (I’d definitely use this but I can’t because of my sons name, which isn’t salt grin)
Winnie

I’ve waited 4 years to be in the position to have the time to look after a dog and I couldn’t be more excited to be able to start looking for one next year.

Ps. I posted something similar a while back but it seems to have disappeared!
So any more ideas would be much appreciated

elliejjtiny Mon 06-Nov-17 13:17:14

Aww, she's gorgeous. I would call her magnum because her colouring reminds me of those dark chocolate magnums with the caramel in. My neighbour's dog looks like her and he is called Rolo. But then I have a cat named after a train from Thomas the tank engine so I'm probably not the best person to ask! I like Martha best out of your list.

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 06-Nov-17 13:17:53

Hetty.

Hetty Frankfurter.

Thetoothyteeth Mon 06-Nov-17 13:18:34

She is SO CUTE 💓

Nancy91 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:18:47

Frankie

Soubriquet Mon 06-Nov-17 13:22:29

Winnie

ProfessorPickles Mon 06-Nov-17 13:22:37

I should point out this isn’t my actual dog, sadly! I’ll be getting one next year, I looked into rescuing one but the number of people wanting to rescue dachshunds is more than the number who need rescuing!

So I’ll be looking to get a puppy, and if she’s half as gorgeous as this dog I’ll be pleased grin

jmscp2015 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:23:30

Wilma or Martha smile

ProfessorPickles Mon 06-Nov-17 13:23:31

I must know your cats name Ellie! grin all Thomas the tank engine names are good names I feel

DaisyRaine90 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:45:10

Martha or Wilma 🐕 woof

ProfessorPickles Mon 06-Nov-17 14:01:17

Ooh two votes for Martha and Wilma so far.

I’m thinking Wilma will end up being my favourite!
I like it because it’s a real name but you never hear of it.
I like traditional names for children but rarely heard human names for dogs! A friend has a dog called Ralph and I love it grin

TheDogsMother Mon 06-Nov-17 14:04:48

Oh definitely Wilma. Great name

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Nov-17 14:04:57

Just a note of caution. Choose the breeder carefully.
Is your child called Doctor? grin

happyfrown Mon 06-Nov-17 14:08:55

willow

ProfessorPickles Mon 06-Nov-17 14:09:21

Any advice on choosing the breeder well would be appreciated, I’ve read up on the KC in the section with advice when choosing but I also realise ‘KC registered’ means nothing.

I found a breeder who seems great ( I say seems as for all I know she’s a top liar) but she has been breeding for 20+ years and has a lot of people coming back for another puppy years later.

I’m so anxious about this and want to get it right! I got a good feeling from her and the dogs but I’m still worried I’ll get it wrong.

My son isn’t called doctor I’m afraid grin his name is that of the sibling of a very famous pig haha

SwearySwearyQuiteContrary Mon 06-Nov-17 14:11:19

Heidi
Hildegard

BibbidiBobbidi Mon 06-Nov-17 14:11:26

It’s a Wilma from me too! grin

flissfloss65 Mon 06-Nov-17 14:12:06

Dascha
Greta

Maudlinmaud Mon 06-Nov-17 14:12:23

My friend has a dachshund called Limo. I think it's a brilliant name.

gingerbreadmam Mon 06-Nov-17 14:13:36

Wilma or Winnie definitely. I have a ginger one called Dexter. They are amazing.

gingerbreadmam Mon 06-Nov-17 14:35:06

Ours is from a breeder but they don't do papers. It is in the north east. If you want details I will pm you.

Itsonkyme Mon 06-Nov-17 14:38:13

I like Maggie!!
Cute name plus it sounds good when you call the dog.
All dogs answer better to a two syllable names, with the end syllable a sharp sound.
As in Maaaaa Geeeeeee and will come to this better than say Willllll maaaaa!
My dog is Buffy (the vampire slayer). Buuuuuuu feeeeee! Comes like a rocket.
So you have more to think of them if the name sounds cute, it's got to sound good to Your dog as well.
I've had people ask, why their dog is hard to call back. Alan????????
Poor little sod!grin

ProfessorPickles Mon 06-Nov-17 15:19:10

I’ve messaged you Ginger smile

Lots of votes for Wilma!

Maggie is lovely itsonkyme, and I get your point about the way it sounds! Alan, wow grin Alan the dog, that’s amazing!

ExConstance Mon 06-Nov-17 15:37:14

Hilda - or Hilde if you want to be more Germanic. We had a long haired standard dachsie some years ago, he was so luvverly. WE sort of intended to get him a wife called Henania but it didn't happen.

wtffgs Mon 06-Nov-17 16:04:23

Penelope Pupstop (kids' TV from 70s grin)

Mabel
Noodle
Noreen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now