Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Elderly retriever - handhold

(10 Posts)
fatowl Mon 06-Nov-17 05:04:24

My old lady is getting very wobbly.
This morning she refused her breakfast (this NEVER happens)
The problem appears to be her neck, she can't stand and lower her head to eat of drink, but will drink/eat if you lift the bowl to her.
She came for a short walk, but is still not really moving her neck. Tail still has a wag, but she is not herself.

Vet at 2pm, but very worried.

gaggiagirl Mon 06-Nov-17 05:08:36

Oh poor girl. You sound like a very loving owner. Your old lady will have had a wonderful life, whatever the outcome at the vets.
<holds hand>

fatowl Mon 06-Nov-17 06:57:53

Have been to the vet (Different time zone) . The vet agrees that her neck or upper spine is the issue and she is moving quite stiffly. He said it could be a trapped nerve or, worse scenario, one of her discs or vertebra are deteriorating (which is possible due to her age).
He's given her a painkilling injection and anti inflammatories to put in her food. He's going to call me on Weds to see how she is.

She was booked to go to the groomers tomorrow (scruffy girl), have just cancelled that.

Feeling a bit more positive now

Almostflownthenest Mon 06-Nov-17 07:10:38

Have you got an Osteopath you could call out to see her? The one I used for my ddog gave him another 2 years of life.

BiteyShark Mon 06-Nov-17 07:13:10

Hope the medication helps her soon.

Hoppinggreen Mon 06-Nov-17 10:15:06

Paw hold from a fellow Goldie owner here

fatowl Mon 06-Nov-17 11:42:57

Feeling a bit more positive, she's had her dinner with her medication in (with the bowl raised up) and has managed a drink with the bowl on the ground. She's wagging her tail and lifting her front leg for tummy rubs.

She's settled by my feet now, we'll see how she is tomorrow.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Nov-17 11:45:04

Hoping she keeps improving. Our old cat had awful arthritis. Kept at bay with a heat pad and tramadol.

BiteyShark Mon 06-Nov-17 11:47:35

Hoping she continues to improve. Fingers crossed.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Tue 07-Nov-17 12:28:26

If it is an ongoing thing, I discovered online a sort of small table with (removable) aluminium dishes set into it (2) for dogs that can't lean down to eat. My dog had a neck problem for a few weeks and it helped her to eat pain-free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now