Talk

Advanced search

Tear stains

(5 Posts)
thefootofourstairs Sun 05-Nov-17 19:10:10

Has anyone found that a change of food made a difference to tear staining ?
My dog came to me on cesar and james wellbeloved , he now has barking heads and his tear stains are no better .
I wipe his eyes twice a day with diamond eyes , wondered if anyone has actually found it to relate to what they are feeding .

Greyhorses Mon 06-Nov-17 07:08:12

It's usually congenital relating to the size of the tear ducts how they are positioned so I can't see how food would make a difference unless the staining is allergy related in which case you need to do allergy testing.

That's why it's so common in flat faced dogs with protruding eyes as the tear ducts are often too small or squashed. You can ask your vet to flush them to make sure they aren't blocked.

SwearyBerry Mon 06-Nov-17 12:22:57

I changed from the dry food that my breeder used (maybe purina), to a v low grain food, tear stains completely cleared up. She’s currently on Origen, never had any problems with it.

thefootofourstairs Mon 06-Nov-17 22:33:20

I might give that a try when the barking heads food runs low then sweary . was your dog still a puppy when you changed to orijen ? My boy is 2 years old and from the photos i've seen he didn't have any staining when he was younger.

SwearyBerry Thu 09-Nov-17 15:50:58

Sorry bit slow responding - yes, still a puppy, was between 3&6 months, can’t quite remember the detail. I suppose if your dog has an allergy, they can develop and worsen over time?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: