Talk

Advanced search

I'm thinking it's better to take my dog to the fireworks

(21 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Sat 04-Nov-17 08:37:20

We live literally one street away from a MASSIVE firework display. We want to walk
up and watch - it lasts half an hour.

Darling dog is 15 months old and not scared of anything. She slept through last years when we were half a mile away. There’s been plenty of loud noises and fizz bangs all month. I take her on the tube, train and round Central London constantly and have done since she was 11 weeks old.

If I leave her at home and walk over it would be unusual for her, we don’t really go out in the evening (and never without her). We take her to the pub and down the south bank a lot.

If she’s not keen we can literally be home in 5 minutes. We’re going nowhere near the crowds, there’s a green bit at the end of our road that looks over the heath where the are and the crowds are the other side.

My last dog (a springer) was the same and we always took him. To him it was sausage night, he barely noticed the fireworks and just sat on the blanket next to us eating sausages.

fourpawswhite Sat 04-Nov-17 08:41:15

I see your point and you know your dog best. One of ours goes, she has always gone to the shoots as well and is phased by nothing. Terrier but typical gun dog really.

My other two would absolutely freak. Brought up in same environment but just hate loud bangs.

My BIL brings his every year as well and she just loves it.

mydogisthebest Sat 04-Nov-17 08:45:58

Yes I would take her if you are pretty sure she won't be scared. We used to take our previous dog to displays and he was fine. In fact he used to love watching fireworks out of the window or even asking to go in the garden to watch them.

Our now dog though was never scared of them until one time I was walking him at about 4pm and one went off in the garden we were passing. He freaked out and tried to run home - he was on lead and was pulling me like crazy.

Since then every time he hears a firework he shoots into his crate and won't come out until they finish

LaurieFairyCake Sat 04-Nov-17 08:47:56

Thanks for that, mines a terrier grinI’m only swithering because she’s still really young and I’m only going on how utterly unphased she has been with life so far. She just acts totally up for anything.

We came upon a marching band with bagpipes a few months ago and it was super loud. She just sat next to me watching with her nose in the air sniffing.

ohisay Sat 04-Nov-17 09:04:36

I’d definitely take her, like you say, you can come come if needs be.
We had a Labrador that LOVED fireworks, she would sit and watch the whole time, she’d look a bit like she she was watching tennis the way her head would move back and forth grin

Floralnomad Sat 04-Nov-17 09:32:03

My terrier isn’t bothered by fireworks , never has been , but personally I would leave one person at home with him as I would worry that the crowd and noise would be too much and that might then make him scared for future years .

Branleuse Sat 04-Nov-17 09:34:08

I used to have a dog that wasnt scared of fireworks at all. We often took her with us when we watched the local display. She didnt mind at all

one of our dogs now has always been a complete wreck at this time of year. She cannot cope with any bangs or big noises. Terrifies her. Shes an old girl now and practically deaf which has been a real blessing for her in some ways, especially on freworks night

You know your dog best. If they dont care about the bangs then it wont harm her to take her

MrsJayy Sat 04-Nov-17 09:37:11

If she isn't arsed I would take her no need to keep her home if she isn't scared. My sisters dog loves fireworks and watches them my dog on the other hand needs drugs bless him.

twinone Sat 04-Nov-17 09:42:15

We used to take ours out, who were scared. They weren't scared when out and being walked, bizarrely!

Trampire Sat 04-Nov-17 09:47:26

I'd be inclined to take her and see how she goes, seeing that you can be home quickly if needs be.

I have a 2yr old border terrier. When he was young he was afraid of nothing. We've sailed through 2 bonfire nights. However recently he's been a bit more jittery as there's bangs going off every other night. He seems more disturbed by the doorbell ringing (which it has been a lot around Halloween).

The only time he was ever afraid was when we tried him at a local festival to experience crowds when he was a pup. He really hated that, but DH just tucked him into his coat and carried him. He was fine when we got home.

Good luck x

missbattenburg Sat 04-Nov-17 10:44:44

All my dogs have always loved a firework display... something to do with the amount of junk food to be found on the floor! grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 04-Nov-17 11:34:01

We visited a stately pile not so long ago and discovered they were holding a battle re-enactment. The cannons were so loud you could feel the thump through your chest. Several people were taking dogs back to the car but Monty just sat there completely unfazed. He’d have made a great gun dog, his retrieve and recall are brilliant too.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 04-Nov-17 21:07:14

And she wasn’t remotely perturbed. Dug a hole in the Heath, didn’t notice the whiz bangs. Firework display amazing !

LaurieFairyCake Sat 04-Nov-17 21:08:26

This is her watching them grin

SleightOfMind Sat 04-Nov-17 21:12:45

Aw she’s gorgeous!
One of mine is unbothered but the other is a wreck.
Guess which one has separation anxiety so can’t be left home without her doggy partner?
hmm

Yokohamajojo Sat 04-Nov-17 21:14:20

Brilliant my terrier who is just 1 and not faced by anything so far has really taken a very angry approach to the fireworks😳 it’s like he’s guarding us and is so pissed of that he doesn’t know where it’s coming from

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 04-Nov-17 21:18:26

When my ddog was alive we used to take her to the fireworks, they bothered her if she was in the house but if she could see them she didn't mind them at all.

Beware though even with a perfectly calm, waggy tail, happy dog at the fireworks some prople will judge you for it and make nasty comments so take your thick skin as well as your thick coat.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 04-Nov-17 21:19:30

Ah didn't realise you had already been, I'm glad your ddog enjoyed it.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 04-Nov-17 21:21:09

There were loads of dogs there grin

Didn’t get any judgey comments thankfully, loads of ‘rule’ breakers with sparklers (no sparklers allowed)

VioletCharlotte Sat 04-Nov-17 21:22:12

My Springer was fine with fireworks until a
couple of years ago. I always used to walk him when they were going off and he wouldn't bat an eyelid.

rightsaidfrederickII Sat 04-Nov-17 21:42:02

Took PestDog out for his evening walk earlier with plenty of fireworks. He didn't care at all about the fireworks - even the local copper commented on how calm he was!

He is just like yours though - London dog, used to buses, tubes, trains and general city life but still thinks he can chase mopeds

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: