Talk

Advanced search

Now it's my dog who won't eat

(18 Posts)
Soubriquet Thu 02-Nov-17 18:54:00

Bloody animal

I haven't taken her to the vets yet because she is still eating every bit of human food she can scavenge but she is not eating her dinner.

She might have a small amount but more often than not, she won't touch it. Been happening for about a week now

She's on piccolo biscuits with forthglade meat and was happily devouring it till recently

Santawontbelong Thu 02-Nov-17 18:59:19

Have you checked her teeth? Maybe she has toothache and is associating her food with pain? Ddogs also chew feet with tooth ache!

Wolfiefan Thu 02-Nov-17 19:02:38

Oh bugger. Is it catching?
Has she had a season? We reckon madam had a phantom.
Still drinking and happy in herself?

Soubriquet Thu 02-Nov-17 19:07:27

She's had her season and a phantom afterwards

Perfectly fine in herself. Hyper as normal, loving her walks and no real change in behaviour.

Just doesn't want to eat confused

Wolfiefan Thu 02-Nov-17 19:50:09

Would she eat it out of a kong or scatter fed?

Soubriquet Fri 03-Nov-17 06:56:48

Probably not no

When this current food runs out I do want to transition her on to raw as she loves eating raw meat.

DeepfriedPizza Fri 03-Nov-17 16:13:08

Could you mix raw with her normal food

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Nov-17 16:19:51

I think the advice is not to mix. Something complicated to do with stomach acids?! confused
Try a bit of cooked chicken on top? Warm it somehow?
Miss a meal completely then offer normal food?

Soubriquet Fri 03-Nov-17 17:44:41

IVe just done a naughty trick... I rinsed out a cat food packet and poured in a bit of water. She wolfed it down

AnUtterIdiot Fri 03-Nov-17 17:52:17

Ha! My policy generally is that if the dog will still eat human food but refuses their own food, it's because they're fed up with their own food but otherwise well. (I'm not talking about coaxing an obviously subdued/sick/in pain dog into eating a small piece of their most favourite food ever - I mean a dog that is obviously hungry but just not interested in their own food.). This has happened at least once with every dog I have ever owned apart from current dog (non-foodie greyhound who is not routinely offered human food). I take it as a sign to start the transition to the next food earlier than planned.

Soubriquet Fri 03-Nov-17 17:57:06

She's such a picky madam.... I've got about 2 months worth of food in the cupboard hmm

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Nov-17 19:25:23

They never change their mind when you run out!
NEVER bulk buy.
Says the fool with 2 1/2 freezers full of dog food! shock

Soubriquet Fri 03-Nov-17 20:24:23

I thought it was just cats that had that problem?

Though saying that, I've got a month and half worth of cat food stored and she's still going mad for it.

Whereas the dog has stuck her bloody nose up hmm

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Nov-17 20:55:42

Diva! grin

Soubriquet Fri 03-Nov-17 21:37:35

Yep. Just a bit. But I luffs her

Therealslimshady1 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:40:29

What kind of dog is it?

My lurcher does this. Need to change brands all the time so she does not get bored...

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Nov-17 21:50:11

Be honest Soubriquet. It makes you love her more! grin

Soubriquet Sun 05-Nov-17 07:27:40

Chihuahua and yes I do love the little sod.

Pickiness included

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now