Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP.. Ignoring No and doing what he likes.

(31 Posts)
puppywithattitude Tue 31-Oct-17 15:54:13

New puppy (vizsla) ignoring No command, especially when tugging on clothes or curtains etc.
Have tried distraction to get him off whoever/whatever he is chewing but that's not working, and he bites if you physically try and remove him.
Don't know what to do?

Santawontbelong Tue 31-Oct-17 15:55:07

Slip lead and remove to a room of no interest.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Tue 31-Oct-17 15:57:23

Well “no” isn’t a command is it? You’re not telling him what to do, youre shouting the same word when he is doing lots of different things so he has no idea what the word means because you say it all the time. Why not tell him to “sit” or to “drop it” when you want him to stop doing something. You have to teach him what those commands mean first of all of course.

puppywithattitude Tue 31-Oct-17 15:59:16

Santa, I can't remove him all the time as he physically won't let go of the item?

MrsJayy Tue 31-Oct-17 16:00:29

Teach him leave when he isn't being a bugger obviously or find a noise i do ahah and he has learned not to do it.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Tue 31-Oct-17 16:01:24

You need to teach “drop it” or “let go” and make it associated with a high value reward. Like cheese or cooked chicken. So that he reliably “drops it” every time he hears the command. Because the reward is so attractive. And you have to reward every time until he has it nailed.

MrsJayy Tue 31-Oct-17 16:01:32

Puppies are arseholes you will have weeks of this.

Santawontbelong Tue 31-Oct-17 16:02:43

Apparently 'trading' is a good method of training. Offer a suitable toy, the idea being he drops the thing he shouldn't have. Make no issue of it just do it. No negative response to the thieving destructive buggar is difficult - I remember!!

MrsJayy Tue 31-Oct-17 16:04:16

I used to do a mat time with my dog and go through commands with smelly treats he didn't get at other times the message gets through but yelling no just wound my dog up even more.

puppywithattitude Tue 31-Oct-17 16:05:13

Thanks Battered, it sounds obvious now you have explained it, that's really helpful practical advice.
I'm not with it, sleep deprived.
MrsJayy, I am sticking my fingers in my ears and saying la la la at your comment or I won't cope confused

puppywithattitude Tue 31-Oct-17 16:06:16

mat time sounds a good idea too.
thanks all, out for wees now......

MrsJayy Tue 31-Oct-17 16:07:02

I had a thread when i got mine he was 7 months when we got him oh my good god he was a nutter

juneybean Tue 31-Oct-17 16:07:25

Even when you teach him he will forget when he's a teenager <sigh>, they really are arseholes as a PP said!

But lovely and fun! grin

bluebells1 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:07:40

Vizslas are notoriously subborn. Short training sessions are the best for them. You better get a trainer in for puppy classes.

BiteyShark Tue 31-Oct-17 16:07:41

I had no end of trouble with this when mine was a puppy because all the training which says offer a high value reward instead just meant he did the behaviour even more to get the reward so it became a vicious circle.

The only thing that worked for me was removing the fun out of it so if he grabbed my jeans I would either remove him or me from the room so he soon learnt that he would be seperated from me if he did that behaviour.

MrsJayy Tue 31-Oct-17 16:07:46

Thread kept me sane ☺

CMOTDibbler Tue 31-Oct-17 16:08:34

I think trading is the best approach ime - it shows them what they should be chewing/playing with

niceupthedance Tue 31-Oct-17 16:09:59

We did a lot of leaving the room when ddog bit us. No attention for bad behaviour. And reward training when they are not crazy.

MrsJayy Tue 31-Oct-17 16:11:25

Jay dog used to take the trade toy put it in his bed and go back to whatever he was doing usually biting at feet hmm oh how i can laugh now that he is 6 and sleeping at my feet

puppywithattitude Tue 31-Oct-17 16:11:30

Oh God, so now I don't do chicken reward? aghhhh

Mantegnaria Tue 31-Oct-17 16:11:32

You also need to check that you and other humans are in the right place in the hierarchy. Dogs are intensely social pack animals and unless you’re are “top dog” in your dog’s mind you will always have problems.

Make sure that you:

• Always get to go through gates and doors first in front of your puppy
• Always eat your own food without having to give any to puppy
• Always “win” any tussle or encounter but obviously without hurting puppy

If your dog gets the wrong idea about who is in charge it can be really lengthy and difficult to correct.

puppywithattitude Tue 31-Oct-17 16:13:13

I can't physically leave the room as he will not let go, had dh by the crotch last night and he couldn't get him off.

RafikiIsTheBest Tue 31-Oct-17 16:15:41

Using treats and toys to 'swap' needs to be done carefully. Last thing you need is puppy thinking I bite this thing 'ere and get a nice piece of chicken...
Puppy classes may help, if you get a decent trainer. Otherwise I'd try to encourage everyone to have a toy about their person and have it ready to shove in pups mouth as he approaches. You could then work on having toy in hand and encouraging pup to go for it... working away util eventually pup finds toy and brings it to you went daft. Worked with my very very mouthy pup.

RafikiIsTheBest Tue 31-Oct-17 16:17:45

And please please please ignore all the top dog, alpha stuff. Wish people would read up, it's all been debunked.
Walking through a door or eating first is just teaching a dog manners, don't barge past and don't eat everything you come across... doesn't help with being in charge in any other situation!

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Tue 31-Oct-17 16:21:09

Oh yes, definitely avoid any trainer who mutters anything about being alpha dog or pack theory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now