Talk

Advanced search

British College of Canine Studies

(5 Posts)
BagpussDearBagpuss Tue 31-Oct-17 10:09:55

Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of studying with this online college?
I was made redundant earlier this year and fancy doing some online courses primarily for interest but potentially leading to a career change.
An advert for this college keeps popping up on my Facebook feed but the website is a bit dated looking so any feedback on this particular college or suggestions on where I could do other online dog courses would be greatly appreciated.

rightsaidfrederickII Tue 31-Oct-17 14:25:44

I hadn't heard of it before, but have had a look at the website.

From what I can tell - if you're doing it for interest, then that's fine, though chances are you could learn all the same things from a few good books and taking your dog to training classes, and it would be a lot cheaper too.

If you're doing it for career purposes, don't bother. The red flags come from things like their prominent statement that they are registered with the UK Register of Learning Providers, but that doesn't confer any sort of quality assurance www.ukrlp.co.uk/

For the accredited courses (i.e. the only ones that give you an actual qualification), this is the organisation that accredits it (i.e. issues the certificate). www.ncfe.org.uk/accreditation-services/investing-in-quality-iiq/ I work in higher education, and to be honest I've never heard of it, though it seems from a bit of research it is legit, albeit not well known

If you're thinking along the lines of a career change, start at the end. Look at what job adverts for the sort of job you'd want to do actually ask for. It may be something like a BTEC in Animal Management, or they may be more fussed about experience.

BagpussDearBagpuss Tue 31-Oct-17 14:32:51

Thanks for replying. I think that you’re right - a BTEC could be the way to go. I’ll have a look into it. Thanks again.

missbattenburg Tue 31-Oct-17 14:39:23

@BagpussDearBagpuss I don't have any experience with the BCCS but do with Compass Education through whom I've studied their Foundation and Advanced Diploma in Canine Behaviour in case you wanted to know anything about those?

BagpussDearBagpuss Tue 31-Oct-17 15:51:45

Hi missbatenburg Yes I’d like to hear about Compass Education please.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: