Talk

Advanced search

Miracle cure? What just happened?

(4 Posts)
sugarplumfairy28 Mon 30-Oct-17 18:17:11

We have a miniature Dachshund, Oscar. On Saturday he was limping, only a little and not constantly. Yesterday we had very severe weather and very low pressure - he was limping a little more. Today he wasn't keen on walking at all, refused the one step into the house after being outside for the toilet this morning. Over the course of the day he has limped constantly, and progressively refused to even get up. He sat in the middle of the room for at least an hour. He growled in pain when we picked him up (to move him to a dog bed out of the way)

Took him to the vet, he did at least walk in, severe limp, and a very odd wiggle. He was in pain when sitting and didn't want to sit, but would not bare weight on his leg standing.

The vet observed him, confirmed his weird walk and limping. She had him on the table, pulled his back legs in every which way. She manipulated his hip and I heard a pop. The vet didn't say anything. She then said she wasn't sure of the cause and wanted to have him in to take xrays. He is a fairly nervous dog, and basically inseparable from our other dog so we asked about other options (previously have had to have him released from the vets early he was so distraught). She has advised painkillers and anti inflammatories for a few days and bring him back if no improvement. OK fine.

So we put him back on the floor, and there was no limp, no refusal to walk, he looked a little stiff if anything, and then he sat down. Like nothing had ever been wrong with him. The vet was just as surprised, and we had to walk him up and down again. My Dad (who I took with me) suggested maybe he had dislocated something, and the vet said could have been, shes not sure. We've got his painkillers and only have to go back if somehow it comes back

This happen to anyone else? Could it have been a dislocated hip? Literally any ideas would be nice.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 30-Oct-17 19:01:03

Tell your vet to train to be a vet Chiro! She obviously has a knack smile

Tamberlane Tue 31-Oct-17 10:45:18

I'd be worried about early disc disease(ivdd) given the breed tbh...signs can come and go and the Dashies are very very prone to it. If hes a stress head don't underestimate the power of adrenaline to mask pain.

Hips are usually very difficult to replace once dislocated as the muscles around them are so strong and pops and different noises can just be from co2 release as you manipulate the skeletal system.

Hopefully it is nothing but I'd be using the pain relief and monitoring over the next while...and saving up in case of the worse case scenario.

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 31-Oct-17 14:53:00

Like Tamberlane my first thought was possible early IVDD.

You might find this website useful, it's got loads of information about the condition, possible symptoms and how to deal with them, lifestyle advice, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now