Post heat behaviour(2 Posts)
Hello doggy people,
I'm a long term lurker on mumsnet and have learned so much from the doghouse.
I'm hoping that those of you with more experience can advise me on something specific.
A bit of background on my pup. She's a little rescue. The dogs trust felt she was a mix of Collie and Husky. The vet feels there is some Beagle there too, so she's a real mix. Collie is definitely the dominant breed.
She has the best temperament and getting her is the best thing we have done as a family.
With the vets advice, we decided to let her have one season before having her spayed. She came into heat on the 9th of September, one week before she turned 11 months.
She bled for 3 weeks and I am 100% confident that there was no mating.
Since she finished, she is still constantly attending to her wee vulva. It seems to be annoying her, rather than just keeping herself clean as she did while bleeding. Also, her friend (an intact male) still seems to be very interested in sniffing around that area which really irritates her.
My query is .... Is all this normal while things settle down post heat, or is it time for a vet visit?
I have checked her and don't see any signs of discharge and there is no smell.
I would appreciate any advice.
How long has she been 'out of season' for?
Thing is female dogs come into season and stay in season before/after we see blood. So just because she's no longer bleeding it doesn't mean she's not still in season.
Also if she's only 11 months it's still far too early to get her done. Ideally you want to leave it until 18 months as they're still growing and need the hormones to grow as healthy as possible - not just physically but emotionally too. Having her done will massively reduce those hormones.
Our vets recommend not spaying until dogs are 2, and even then because of the cycle they like to do it 3 months AFTER the last season.
However it does seem like she's still in season. My pup is yet to have her first one but with my last dog her first season lasted forever. Perhaps give it another week or 10 days and if no matter back to the vets.
If she ever seems in pain or extremely unsettled then you need to visit the vets asap as it could be pyometra which is life threatening within hours/days. This doesn't sound like pyo at all, but just keep an eye on her just incase
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.