Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dog crate

(13 Posts)
sweetsomethings Sun 29-Oct-17 19:54:02

Can anyone recommend me their dogcrate ?

Wolfiefan Sun 29-Oct-17 19:54:48

Do you want one for travel or at home? How old and big is your dog?

tabulahrasa Sun 29-Oct-17 20:10:09

I've just got the cheapest they sell on either Amazon or eBay (can't remember which, it's 5 years old).

I couldn't see any benefit to paying more given that it just sits in my house and something would have gone really wrong with my crate training if my dog was trying to get out...

Kurkku Sun 29-Oct-17 21:56:12

I bought an AmazonBasics crate earlier this year for our puppy. It has been brilliant, just as good quality (if not better) than the much more expensive one our older dog has.

Oops4 Mon 30-Oct-17 00:23:03

If you have a Range near you their crates are great and cheaper than pet stores

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Mon 30-Oct-17 08:20:38

Another vote for AmazonBasics one.

Some of the cheap ones have thin more bendy wire, which can be a hazard if something happens to panic the dog, whilst your out. Because of this my first dog has an expensive crate, that has thicker, stronger wire. For my new pup I thought I'd see what the AmazonBasics was like (I'd heard good things about it), as I didn't have a lot of money left after paying for pup and Amazon do free returns. It's as strong and thick wired as my other one and certainly much better than other budget ones I've seen. I also like the door catches better to open the door you have to lift them right up, rather than just halfway up, like most crates are. No chance of dog managing to open it.

Elphame Mon 30-Oct-17 09:41:55

Think where you are gong to site it. I have a cheap one which only has a door at the end. it works very well given where the crate lives but if you are going to want to have side access then a door there might suit better.

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Mon 30-Oct-17 10:38:23

Elphame has a really good point there. I'd always recommend spending a few £ more and getting the two door version. Added flexibility and it's easier to clean a crate with a side door. Plus I changed my mind about location of crate, after pup had been here a few weeks, so where originally I had only needed an end door, in the new location I needed the side door.

Mol1628 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:50:35

I got an RAC one from eBay, it came with a mattress and it has two doors which is handy. It’s not really strong but does the job just fine.
I did look at the Amazon one but lots of reviews said the wire had sharp parts and had cut themselves or their dogs so avoided those.

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Tue 31-Oct-17 19:30:58

Mol I didn't find a brand of crate, with lots of reviews, that didn't have people claiming that. I just checked when it came and would have filed any sharp bits if there were any. Unless you find a brand that is handmade and checked (which would be extremely expensive) it is inevitable that there will be the odd crate with a little sharp piece of metal somewhere.

Mol1628 Tue 31-Oct-17 19:34:36

That’s true I suppose never thought of it like that.

OldWitch00 Tue 31-Oct-17 19:38:08

we have a super heavy duty one, which gets locked down in the truck bed when we travel with the dogs. it's big and it's solid. just sharing a link in case anyone ever needs this particular type.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJRiq4xkiOg

Kurkku Tue 31-Oct-17 19:47:29

Our Amazon one was (and is) great. No sharp edges or any other issues. The door "locking" mechanism is wonderful, much more secure than our other dog's expensive pet store crate.
I also got the two door version, and they come with a divider as standard so great for a growing pup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now