Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where do we start??

(12 Posts)
Thisandthat2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:20:16

Hi all 😁 I'm new to this part of mn, I didn't even know a pet section existed! So first of all, helllllooooo all 😊

We, as a family of four (two adults, one 11yr old dd and a 10 year old ds) have been yearning for a dog in our lives.

After extensive research we have decided that a Tibetan terrier is the breed for us.

So what next???? How do we know where and who to buy from? I have seen adverts on preloved and pets4homes but is this who I should be buying from? What should I be looking for and what kind of questions should I be asking?

This is not a decision that we are taking lightly, nor should it be, and I want to be sure we are going about it the right way. So any helpful advice would be gratefully received. 😊

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sat 28-Oct-17 21:40:56

There must be a Tibetan Terrier association, the best place to start is with them. Personally I would joint their Facebook page and contact them that way. I was given advice to contact a breed association which I did but they never got back to me hmm so I joined several Facebook pages associated with the breed and lurked for ages. eventually I got a real feel for who knew their stuff and who didn't and 18 months later I now have two of the same breed, no thanks to the specific association at all.

Thisandthat2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:30:24

Funnily enough, that is exactly what I have just done - requested to join a few fb groups. One has just sent a pm to say that recommendations and advertisement of breeders is not allowed! The pictures are making me fall even more in love with the breed! It is lovely to look at the dogs having fun with their owners. It will probably be another 6 months before we get one ourselves but I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you Thewolfsjustapuppy.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sat 28-Oct-17 22:37:45

None of the groups I am in sell puppies but you get to know who has pups as pictures of litters are often up (sooo cute!). There never seems to be an issue with asking about recommendations for breeders. I would never ask about breeding on FB or MN as the bias is always massively towards rescue. However another advantage of being on breed specific groups is that the rescue contingent is usually very active and you may get a chance at a rescue dog.

steppemum Sat 28-Oct-17 22:44:21

Hi TheWolf,
I foster dogs who are waiting to be rehomed.
They are often lovely dogs, the ones we have had have been lovely natured and sweet dogs, looking for a new home.

While I understand the draw to one particular breed, I do urge you to look at your local rescue centre's website and see who is waiting for a home. You may find a dog with the similar 'look' to your favourite breed, but you have the added knowlegde that this dog needs a home, and you can provide it.

Right now, curled up by my feet is a young Great Dane. Only 10 months old, lovely gentle young lady, just looking for some love and care, lots of personality and love to give a family.

rightsaidfrederickII Sat 28-Oct-17 22:47:29

Ditto the above, and make sure you know how to spot a puppy farm (e.g. breeding 2+ breeds is a big red flag). If you think you're looking at a puppy farm, then run very, very fast in the opposite direction.

Oops4 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:01:39

I don't think wolf is looking for a dog 🤔 I think it is really important to consider the breed and what would work with your situation. It's one of the most important considerations and should be for rescue dogs too.

OP, are you looking to rescue or get a pup?

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sun 29-Oct-17 07:06:47

Sigh, yes it’s know that there are lots of rescue dogs out there and there are hunbreds of Facebook sights specifically for those who are looking for a rescue. The OP asked specifically about Tibetan Terriers. The best way to get to know a breed is to talk to other owners and the best way to find a lot of owners is on Facebook groups specifically for the breed you are interested in. The OP is looking for a pup for about 6 months time, she is asking how do you find out about pups that are well bred and cared for. Again I would argue that talking to a lot of owners is the way forward.

Oops, I’m not looking for a dog you are right smile I was simply trying to give constructive advice on how to find out more about a breed that you are interested in. FB groups worked for me, I asked a question on a few groups and got the warts and all answers I needed in order to make an informed decision about the breed.

missbattenburg Sun 29-Oct-17 08:32:35

"got the warts and all answers I needed in order to make an informed decision about the breed"

This is SO important. I am a firm believer that when you pick a breed you 'pick your poison'. All breeds have good and bad points. No one gives up on a dog for not having enough good points, they give them up because they have too many bad ones that they cannot live with. Looking at the less desirable behaviours of your breed is important to decide what you can live with.

For example, I love springers but they are mouthy (love to chew) and can bond to closely with one person. I can live with those things.

The only Tibetans Ts I have known alert bark every single little nose and sound and sight. Lovely dogs but I couldn't live with that so they are not for me. (Note, I don't know if that is a breed trait of Tibetans but as I think they were originally bred to guard monasteries I am guessing it is.)

Bubble2bubble Sun 29-Oct-17 10:15:24

There are a few Tibetan terrier rescues:

http://www.tibetanterrierrescue.net

https://m.facebook.com/groups/139820399808/?ref=group_header&view=group

Even if you do not end up rescuing one they are a good source of information—and very cute photos—

Thisandthat2017 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:36:00

Thank you. I would consider a rescue but as we have never owned a dog I don't think we would be suitable. I have requested to join the fb group, thanks.

steppemum Sun 29-Oct-17 16:36:19

sorry wolf, I meant OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now