Talk

Advanced search

New dog - barking

(7 Posts)
sonjadog Sat 28-Oct-17 17:47:59

Just got my new dog home this afternoon. She is 10 years old and being rehomed to me. I have had dogs, but it is 13 years ago since last time I got a new one, so I just wanted to check what is right to do. She has been barking and whining since she got here a few hours ago. She has eaten her dinner and stopped briefly to eat a liver stick, so not too traumatized, I think. But I am wondering about the barking. So far I have been ignoring it as she is upset and it is her outlet, but should I be doing more about it? I don´t want to encourage it either...

tinymeteor Sat 28-Oct-17 19:12:08

I wouldn't worry too much yet, it's very early days. Has she come from a kennel environment? She might be used to lots of barking and feel unnerved by a quiet home. Give her time to settle in, and see how she goes. If you find she's barking persistently, offer toys or do short training games to distract her. Don't discipline her or shout to stop the barking, she won't understand and may think you're joining in. Reward any periods of quiet behaviour. For example feed her while she's quiet if you can, to avoid her meal appearing to be a reward for barking. Maybe use techniques to prolong the meal (hiding kibble around the house if she's scent driven, or using a maze bowl) as it'll occupy her longer and so give her time to calm down in the new environment.

As she gains confidence in her new home it'll probably settle down.

Medeci Sat 28-Oct-17 19:24:50

I think it's normal for them to be unsettled.
Good that she's eating. My rescue was a complete nervous wreck when I got him, barking and whining and running round the house, had a small bite of food and was sick.
I took him into the garden every hour or so to make sure he knew where to go and he wee'd every time.

sonjadog Sat 28-Oct-17 20:02:32

Thanks. She's calmed down now after her evening walk and is currently lying at my feet. Not completely relaxed but not whining either. I kind of knew it would pass but I find listening to any dog cry very upsetting so I needed to hear it was natural earlier.

sonjadog Sat 28-Oct-17 21:34:02

Now she is fast asleep on her new mat. Fingers crossed that she feels more settled tomorrow. I´m sure she must be exhausted. It´s been a big day for a little dog.

vilamoura2003 Mon 30-Oct-17 15:37:51

How is she getting on now?

sonjadog Mon 30-Oct-17 17:26:20

Doing good! She has settled into the house well. Not so keen on being in the car, but hopefully she´ll get used to it quickly. She hasn't been crated before in a car so she finds it rather odd and it is adding to her general upset. But car safety is not something I am willing to compromise on, so that´s just the way it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now