Talk

Advanced search

Adaptil or alternatives - yay or nay?

(10 Posts)
Haffdonga Fri 27-Oct-17 19:36:36

In your experience does Adaptil pheromone air diffuser thingy (other brands are available) actually make any difference for a firework phobic dog?

I find it hard to believe that wafting a vague aroma of dog hormone around the house will make the slightest difference at the first pop of a firework to a a terrified trembling, panting spayed elderly dog but I'm happy to spend the money if it helps.

BiteyShark Fri 27-Oct-17 19:47:13

No idea about Adaptil but whilst my dog happily ignore fireworks he tends to bark a lot at other 'noises' outside of the house especially at night. I have found a white noise machine tends to muffle the sounds quite a lot and has stopped a lot of his barking so would something like that help?

Haffdonga Sat 04-Nov-17 21:58:52

Just popping back on to this to say something whether Adaptil or not has worked like a bloody miracle.

I was deeply sceptical but prepared to try anything for ddog who is so firework phobic that she pants, hides under my bed, poos on the floor and trembles non stop on bonfire night.

I bought the plug in, started it yesterday. This evening we have had the major town firework display going off less than half a mile away and fairly loud fireworks all evening, Ddog lifted her head, pricked her ears and then went back to sleep. shock Later she had a play with her toy during more bangs and now she is lying upside down legs in the air, calm, relaxed and happy.

I dont know if it's the Adaptil or if ddog has gone deaf but bloody hell. It's fantastic. smile

Littlewoo Sat 04-Nov-17 22:25:35

I need to get this. My girl bolted on a walk at 5.30 due to fireworks. She's a rescue and it's our first fireworks with her so had no idea how badly affected she'd be. Thankfully managed to find her after 10 mins of awful searching.
She's not calmed down at all, panting and rapid breathing. Tons of fireworks still going off which isn't helping.
Going to try and get this tomorrow, any other recommendations for helping my nervous girl?

MrsJayy Sat 04-Nov-17 22:29:07

Ours had an adaptil collar made not a jot of difference .we give him calmex chills him out and he just barks at them we just let him bark it out then he will go back to his bed.

MrsJayy Sat 04-Nov-17 22:30:24

Pets at home sell calmex and zyclene which we have also used

Littlewoo Sat 04-Nov-17 22:32:55

Thanks, will head to Pets at Home tomorrow as don't want her to have another night like tonight, it's been awful sad

MrsJayy Sat 04-Nov-17 22:40:20

Your poor dog you need to ask for calmex they dont sell it off the shelf iyswim if they don't have that ask for zyklene We get ours from the vet

GreatBigPolarBear Tue 07-Nov-17 09:17:05

Adaptil worked well for separation anxiety when our dog was younger.
We use serenum for fireworks which works brilliantly

Littlewoo Sat 11-Nov-17 08:17:40

I got zyklene for her last Sunday but had a bad week with her. She does her usual getting excited dancing etc just before a walk but as soon as the front door opens she starts backing away. This started with just nighttimes and now it's anytime of day.
We met up with a friend who has a dog our girl always has a lovely time with and she was very subdued. Normal the two dogs have great fun playing chase but this walk she walked beside me and wasn't for joining in at all. Twice a day we take her to a field and throw her ball which she usually can't get enough of, this past week she has no interest.
She's a Lurcher which I've not had experience of before, I'm aware she's definitely more highly strung but now starting to get really concerned about her fear. Feel rotten for her too as I can see her panicking and just want to make her feel safe. Will be taking her to the vet next week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now