Talk

Advanced search

Dog whelping early and worried

(5 Posts)
closephine85 Fri 27-Oct-17 06:21:04

I've not used mumsnet to post about my dog before but as it's been a wealth of knowledge about other things I thought I'd try asking for some advice/support.

I have a dachshund jack Russell cross, she is currently 54 days pregnant and has been showing early signs of whelping since last night. So far just restlessness and fast breathing (not quite panting). We took her to the vet yesterday evening as I was concerned about how early it is and he confirmed temperature drop and that her milk is there and said to expect the puppies to be born within the the next couple of days. He was quite blasé about it being early and just said there's nothing we can do about it.

I guess I'm just asking for some advice - I'm reading that they are unlikely to have their sucking reflex if they are born today. Is there anything I can do to help them? If she held out for another day or so would they be in with a chance? There's no discharge yet and she's currently curled up at my feet quite settled. Not tried feeding her yet today but she was still interested in food last night.

We are definite on dates, she was with the father on the 3rd and 4th September.

Thanks in advance.

rizlett Fri 27-Oct-17 06:32:16

Have faith in your little dog. Everything might just work out fine. The best thing you can do for her is to remain calm and relaxed so that she can just concentrate on doing her thing. Good luck op.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 27-Oct-17 07:56:18

Well the range is 57-79 days from mating (65 days is from ovulation they can ovulate several days after mating). So if she hangs on for another 48 hours ( entirely possible) she will be there.
There is no way to stop whelping we just have to go with it.

closephine85 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:57:04

Thanks both, she is still holding on but today her appetite is gone (very unlike her so definitely a sign they are on the way). Today is day 55. Hoping she holds on until tomorrow.

Laceup Sat 28-Oct-17 17:26:54

Any news op....have the babies arrived

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now