Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Entertaining the puppy

(9 Posts)
ownedbySWD Wed 25-Oct-17 10:19:59

How much entertaining and interaction does a dog.need? I am at home all day, take her for walks and talk to her, play with her but not all day long. Sometimes she snuffles around the house drifting from one thing to another rather listlessly, then flops down for a snooze. She isn't sleeping deeply though, because if I get up to another room she will follow and flop down again.

Sometimes she'll want to go.outside and does the same sort of snuffling thing around the garden.

I worry she might be bored, but she has plenty of toys, is fed well, goes for a walk or two each day (she is not quite six months old so I don't want.to overexercise her). Sometimes she's just a snoring house ornament!

She's our first dog,.if you can't tell. grin I think she's happy? No serious behaviour concerns apart from normal puppy excitability, especially during early evening when everyone is coming home from school and work.

I keep reading about the need to keep their.minds active but don't really know what that means in practice. She has kongs but since moving her to a raw diet she has no interest in kibble whatsoever. So I can't really hide food round the house for her to sniff out or shove some mince into a Kong.

CMOTDibbler Wed 25-Oct-17 10:25:41

What sort of dog is she? I've had a lot of 6 month old lurcher pups around this year, and though they love a walk and a play, plus the odd mad zoomies, they do spend a lot of time snoring upside down on the sofa/bed. In fact, I think spending a lot of time snoozing probably indicates that they are getting plenty of stimulation the rest of the time - just like toddlers, their brains need lots of sleep time to process it all

ownedbySWD Wed 25-Oct-17 10:30:08

She's a Spanish water dog. I'm not sure which category of dog that falls under, I think spaniels?

Cello4 Wed 25-Oct-17 10:39:48

It sounds to me like you are doing splendid. Dogs NEED chilled time to doze and relax. They do not require to be over-stimulated. So don't worry, the mere fact that you wrote this Message shows that you want to do right for her - and it sounds that you are.

You are correct that outside walks should be short while she is under a year old.

Have you thought of joining an Obedience Training Club perhaps? You are probably already teaching her to Sit, and lay Down, to Wait and to come to you, make that happy and pleasurable, give her a lovely little tickle with praise when she comes to you.

What breed of dog is she?

All good wishes for a long and happy future with your dog.

Cello

ownedbySWD Wed 25-Oct-17 10:44:56

Thanks both of you. Setting my mind at ease. smile I do intend to get her on a training class, probably after Christmas with all my current outgoings. blush She picks up commands so quickly! It is a pleasure to train her. I'm going to get her involved in flyball when she is old enough.

CMOTDibbler Wed 25-Oct-17 10:58:48

You could have a look on YouTube for ideas on things to teach her - Kikopup is supposed to be very good. Is she solid in sit/stand/stay/come here/fetch/lie down (both with you and remote)/watch me and walking nicely on a loose lead? if she can do all of those at home and in the park with other dogs around you then you've done really well, but if not, you've got stuff you can work on without paying for classes and it will fill her brain up lots. Perhaps the kids could work on those when they come home to direct her excitement?

ownedbySWD Wed 25-Oct-17 11:03:52

Thanks I will check those out. She still needs practice with some of those for sure. She doesn't listen to the children as well as I'd like, but it's probably because I butt in when they are trying. When I step back she listens to them much better! I think I'll make a list!

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Wed 25-Oct-17 11:54:26

It's really important that they learn to settle and mooch about by themselves too. They also definitely need lots of sleep (even active adult dogs sleep a surprising amount when nothing is going on). It causes lots of problems further down the line if they don't learn this from the start.

Also dogs are always more aware of their surroundings when sleeping, than humans, so waking and following you to another room and flopping down again is totally normal. She'll probably do it less as she learns that you'll be back in a second but they never seem to loose that awareness of where their human is whilst they sleep.

You sound like your doing brilliant.

ownedbySWD Wed 25-Oct-17 12:11:39

Thank you! Planning to take her out to a country park with the children later today. That will probably be very stimulating for her. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now