Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I leave a 10 week old puppy for an hour or two?

(8 Posts)
TequilaLemonSalt Tue 24-Oct-17 21:12:44

My ex got a puppy a couple of weeks ago. He is very unstable and shouldnt have got him imo (I have vocalised this). He says he really got him for toddler DD hmm I'm having him a lot, which I love and am happy to do. I know it's not ideal for the dog, but at least he's having a better time than if I wasn't involved. I love him, and am doing my best to train him etc. He has a lovely time at my house with me and DD.

He hasn't come to pick him up tonight, and I know he won't get out of his pit to get him tomorrow until mid-afternoon. I'd arranged to go to the park with my sister and nephew tomorrow morning. Puppy hasn't had his 2nd jabs yet, so can't come. Could I leave him in the house for an hour or so? I don't really know the done thing, and google is saying different stuff. It's not urgent so I could raincheck if the consensus is no.

tabulahrasa Tue 24-Oct-17 21:29:19

If you've got somewhere puppy proof to put him, he might be fine, or he might have a bit of a panic about being alone if he's not used to it.

You can take him outside btw, just not put him on the ground - might that be an option? Carry him and take a blanket or something to put him on?

TequilaLemonSalt Tue 24-Oct-17 21:33:34

You can take him outside btw, just not put him on the ground - might that be an option? Carry him and take a blanket or something to put him on?

I didn't think of that! Brilliant idea. He's a tiny little chihuahua, so easy enough to carry.

Thanks smile

SparklingRaspberry Tue 24-Oct-17 21:33:37

No.

Take the puppy with you, he'll be fine. None of my dogs have ever had their jabs and they've all been fit as a fiddle. The dog isn't gunna roll over and die because it's been taken out before it's 2nd lot of injections. It can only gain from the experience

tabulahrasa Tue 24-Oct-17 21:45:18

A chihuahua? Ach you can put him in your pocket grin

But aye, a tiny tiny puppy should be fairly easy to take.

vilamoura2003 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:34:39

Any puppy needs to get used to being left on their own - it is a little short notice now but you need to start shutting him away or stepping out of the house for 5 minutes and returning. When you go back in, don’t fuss him, just completely ignore him - separation anxiety is caused when people over compensate for leaving the dog on its own and make a huge fuss when it goes bonkers when they return, this then creates more anxiety for the dog the next time the owner comes home.

Definitely need to start getting him used to be left for 5 minutes at a time gradually increasing.

A crate is also a great thing to get a puppy used to - keeps them safe and out of mischief when you are gone 👍

fessmess Wed 25-Oct-17 08:05:39

Take them with you, it's too young to be left.

TheNewMrs Wed 25-Oct-17 08:13:56

Ahem!

Any chance of a photo of said tiny chihuahua? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now