Talk

Advanced search

Dog camera/monitor - do you have one?

(12 Posts)
acupofteamakeseverythingbetter Tue 24-Oct-17 10:01:13

Does anyone use a dog camera/monitor or an app? If so, which one would you recommend? I've had a neighbour mention to my DP that our dog barks when we are out of the house and I want to keep an eye on her and see what triggers it and to see if we can minimise her barking.

Should I pay out for the fancy cameras or would an app be cheaper as still just as good?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks smile

BiteyShark Tue 24-Oct-17 15:17:59

Sorry the only one I have is a baby monitor with it's own monitoring device so not hooked up to the internet which is presumably what you want whilst you are out.

So things to think about:-
Do you want both picture and sound?
Do you want real time (log into your phone to view) or will you be happy recording on to something like an SSD card and playing back later?
Does the dog stay in one room in a small area or will you need one that can be remotely turned or several cameras to cover the area?

hometownunicorn Tue 24-Oct-17 15:38:16

I have one for our dog. It’s a cheapish webcam with associated app, which records for about a week (clever dog camera). It’s been useful when we wanted to check what he was doing when we’re out, but there are times when he moves out of shot which isn’t very helpful! The app is a bit rubbish as well, but it’s mostly fine for what we want it for.

fairgame84 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:47:16

I have the Panasonic pet cam and it's absolutely the best thing I have bought for the dog. I can check in on him at any point during the day. All I ever see him do is sleep, he is a very lazy dog.
I can speak to him if I want to and can turn the lamp on for him if it gets too dark.
DS is almost 13 and spending short periods home alone so it is also good for me to keep an eye on him as well.
I know it's not cheap but I have no regrets about buying it.

www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/smart-home/kx-hn6030pmk.html

acupofteamakeseverythingbetter Tue 24-Oct-17 16:18:40

Thank you for the replies. Ideally, I would like to be able to watch in 'real time' and be able to hear if she is barking. Just to give me piece of mind really (I am a worrier). The Panasonic Pet Cam looks great, the price tag is pretty hefty! Although, it would be an investment hmm will just need to convince DP!

I always leave the TV and radio on for her but have also closed the living room curtains today, so I'm hoping this will stop her from barking at anything outside. Apparently when she barks she sets the neighbour's dog off too. I don't want to be that annoying neighbour with the barking dog!

I don't think she barks a lot (she is not vocal at all whilst we are at home) but obviously it's enough for the neighbour to mention it so want to nip it in the bud now.

Thanks again for your replies smile

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 16:19:55

Stupid question?! Do you have a laptop? Webcam?
Is she being left a lot? How old is she? Is this new behaviour?

caroldeckershair Tue 24-Oct-17 17:18:50

We have a free app called presence on our iPad. It records movement, then emails you instantly with a short clip.

We have set it up at an angle to capture anything at front door. It was recommended on here by someone not trusting their cleaner.

rainforestsloth Wed 25-Oct-17 22:43:52

If you have an old phone that you can download an app called Alfred to set that up as the camera then download Alfred to your phone to receive live images you can also hear and talk to them. Only downside it is static so you need to find a good position.

rainforestsloth Wed 25-Oct-17 22:44:29

alfred.camera/

Reb33 Sun 05-Nov-17 23:38:18

If you have an old iPhone, you can download a free app called Presence. It will give you alerts if there is movement, or you can watch live.

Opentooffers Mon 06-Nov-17 22:39:06

I have a Netgear ArloQ petcam, works well, I can even use work wifi to watch live footage without using up data. If you have to use data allowance on mobile it can mount up pretty fast as there is an extensive library that keeps 15s shots whenever a sound or movement is detected, this downloads to your phone so can watch it any time. Can also be used to talk back to dog - I've only used it once, funny watching his ears prick up, I think it confused him ;-).
Some charge to use their service, if I pay a monthly fee I can upgrade to more features but I'm quite happy with the free capability it has - just watch you don't bust your data allowance and use over wifi when possible. Has been great - though I can't see him a lot of the time as he hides in the hall, it picks up every bark though, which I know is only odd occasion and not had any complaints so far.

ElephantsandTigers Thu 09-Nov-17 15:40:13

We have a camera to check on DDog when we're out. It's real time and I can take snap shots and video too. Cost approx £40. It has TENVIS on it so assume that's the brand. I can also talk to her but don't as I think it would spook her. I can listen though to make sure she's not whimpering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now