Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why could be wrong with my poor dog?

(11 Posts)
TooCoolForScool Mon 23-Oct-17 17:33:47

He’s a cavalier King Charles spaniel and he’s almost 7. Usually fit and healthy, he’s slim and active and always passes his yearly health check at the vets. No heart murmur whatsoever

However he’s not well at all and I don’t know what’s up with him. A year ago, he started randomly yelping and screaming on and off. Like he was in a lot of pain. Took him to the vet who thoroughly checked him over and said she was looking at a perfectly healthy dog. This passed quite quickly and he returned to normal.

Just over a week or so ago it started again and it’s worse. He yelps in his sleep or when awake. High pitched and he’s obviously in pain. Reluctant to go for a walk , which is highly unusual. Seems sad. Again took him to the vet. She squeezed his paws, felt him all over, checked temp, listened to his heart. Literally did everything she could at that point. He’d been terrible that day, crying a lot, but trotted into the vets like he was full of beans. Again, she said he was perfectly healthy

He was then fine for maybe a day or so but it’s back again. He seems reluctant to put weight on one paw but last week it seemed to be his back legs. And he is struggling to jump up and down off the sofa or stairs but then, just as suddenly, he can do it and fly about. But he then will just cry on and off all night. Seemed to struggle to bend and eat but then absolutely fine again. The postman knocked at the door this. Or img and he was asleep on the sofa and he went to do his usual bark but he yelped and cried instead as moving had hurt him

It’s not a sprain or dislocation as he doesn’t flinch when he’s pulled about or squeezed. Not a urine infection.

So... what could it be? Any ideas? The vet said the only thing left to check would be an MRI scan but she was totally puzzled last week and said he seemed fine to her

Shambolical1 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:54:45

Could be neurological. Sadly, Cavaliers are susceptible to a number of genetic conditions. If it were me I'd go back and ask for a neurological work-up.

Ginmakesitallok Mon 23-Oct-17 17:55:28

Could well be syringomyelitis

Ginmakesitallok Mon 23-Oct-17 17:58:04

To add - my dm's wee cavalier has sm - diagnosed via mri. She's on a cocktail of painkillers/diuretics/ omeprazole and has regular acupuncture. Keeps her stable for now. Thank God for insurance.

Does your wee dog scratch a lot?

parklives Mon 23-Oct-17 18:00:55

Could be a growth pressing on nerve endings, but not constantly. My old lab had this on her spine, sometimes she was fine, others crippled with pain because of where the growth was.

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 23-Oct-17 18:16:47

Most of what you've listed can indeed be symptoms of Syringomyelia and the symptoms can initially be intermittent.

Were his parents screened for CM/SM before being bred from?

Given his breed I think I'd be inclined to go for the MRI to see if it is SM or not. Although it can't be cured there are various treatments available, both medical and surgical, to manage the condition for a while at least.

villainousbroodmare Mon 23-Oct-17 18:23:41

SM or intervertebral disc disease. Intermittently v painful. Ask your vet if she can x ray your dog for a start, prior to MRI.

reallyanotherone Mon 23-Oct-17 18:38:52

My first thought gin.

However wouldn’t it be a vet’s first thought with ckc? O/p has the vet mentioned it at all? Or anything neurological?

Ginmakesitallok Mon 23-Oct-17 19:04:36

When dm's wee dog was diagnosed her vet recommended she be pts there and then. Luckily she went for 2nd opinion and is well controlled now. Unfortunately some vets are more informed than others.

TooCoolForScool Mon 23-Oct-17 19:16:17

Well he has now leapt up and has gone for a walk and is full of beans with no crying at all, so completely normal again

No the vet didn't mention it as a possibility but did mention that the only other option would be an MRI as as far as she could see he was a completely healthy dog

He's had a limp on and off all day and now ... no signs. Like last week when it seemed his back legs were unstable. It just goes

I'll google SM symptoms. I am aware of it.

No he doesn't scratch at all - bar normal scratching from time to time

insert1usernamehere Mon 23-Oct-17 20:43:20

There's a good overview of the myriad issues that the breed is prone to here cavaliercampaign.com/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-health-issues/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now