Talk

Advanced search

Masticatory Muscle Myositis

(3 Posts)
Jellybabies123 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:25:03

Hi, i just wondered if anyone has ever had any experience of Masticatory Muscle Myositis (mmm). My dog (french bulldog) developed acute mmm - literally overnight to the point where he could barely open his mouth. We are just back from the vets who said his mouth was difficult to open even whilst sedated. He has had a steriod injection and is going back tomorrow for a check and to begin oral steriods for the next few months. Just wondered if anyone else has ever had an experience with this and can let me know what to expect in the coming weeks/months. Thanks x

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 23-Oct-17 17:56:31

Has a blood test been taken and a muscle biopsy sent to confirm the diagnosis? This is quite important as there several different types of myosotis and they do not all respond to steroids.
I have successfully treated several cases over the years, but always confirm with bloods and biopsy.

Jellybabies123 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:31:35

No he didnt have a blood test but was given a steriod injection and told to go back today, he has definitely made some improvement already. The vet saw him again today and is sure it is mmm so we have been given oral steriods 3 times a day and we will go back in one week. Obviously from reading on google (never a great idea i know) it can be quite serious and seems like some dogs loose muscle permanently. Just wondered what the likelihood of a full recovery would be etc etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now