Talk

Advanced search

Kennel cough? Even though he's had the jab?

(14 Posts)
2PintsOfPeroni Sun 22-Oct-17 20:41:31

My gorgeous boy (4 year old lab) started coughing this morning. At first I thought he'd got something stuck in his throat. He'll sound fine for a while then he'll do this awful croupy gagging for a few minutes, then he'll settle again. My DCs are a bit stressed by it as it sounds awful. But he's well in himself, wet nose and no loss of appetite. All he has brought up are a couple of bits of white "spit".

He had kennel cough jab in the summer before he went to his doggie holiday lady. So could this be kennel cough?

Is there anything I can do for him? Do you think I should take him to the vets tomorrow?

Many thanks

BiteyShark Sun 22-Oct-17 20:46:36

Yes they can get kennel cough even if they have had the vaccination ( think of it like flu with the flu vaccination in that it can stop it in some cases but not all).

I think kennel cough does have a distinct sound.

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 20:47:44

They can. If you think it's kennel cough then warn them. They may come out to the car rather than risk bringing it into the vets.

Floralnomad Sun 22-Oct-17 20:48:45

Are you sure he had the KC vaccine as it's not a jab bug a nasal spray , or it is where we are . The KC vaccine only covers certain strains so they can still catch it . Mine is very susceptible and gets it at least every 12-18 months , even though he doesn't really mingle and never goes near a kennel . I always get him the vaccine in the hope that it will only be a mild case when he gets it . We give ours baby tixylix , he loves it and is very good at slurping it off the spoon . Hope your dog feels better soon .

2PintsOfPeroni Sun 22-Oct-17 20:50:55

Tixylix! Never thought of that.

Thanks for the replies. He sounds awful sad

Lucisky Mon 23-Oct-17 07:55:56

Our jrt got very bad kennel cough despite being vaccinated. There are many different strains of kennel cough apparently. It's a bit like being vaccinated against flu I think, no guarantee you won't get flu, just not the one you were vaccinated for.
It sounds dreadful, doesn't it - just like they are choking on something.

Floralnomad Mon 23-Oct-17 09:55:08

There is not usually any need for antibiotics , so if you are sure what it is and the dog seems well aside from the cough you don't need to dash to the vets this morning , I'd call them and ask if they want to see him . Mine needed extended antibiotics as a pup but he came to us a Battersea pup with the Battersea strain and unfortunately now has tracheal issues due to it , but that is not common .

cathyandclare Mon 23-Oct-17 10:01:52

Both Ddogs got it despite vaccination, the older one is pretty stoical but the young one definitely has man-dog flu and is very sorry for himself. I may try the tixylix

2PintsOfPeroni Mon 23-Oct-17 16:57:54

Thanks for your replies. He is coughing less often today but still sounds awful. However I haven't taken him to the vet as he's so well in himself. Eating, happy, wanted to go for a walk. He didn't even cough once outside - maybe the fresh air helped?! That's what used to happen when my DS got croup when he was little!

I'll see what tomorrow brings. Thanks again!

Floralnomad Mon 23-Oct-17 17:23:25

Do be careful that you stay well away from where other dogs go if you walk him or you will spread it around .

2PintsOfPeroni Mon 23-Oct-17 19:52:22

Floralnomad - yes I was thinking about that, wondering who he caught it from and where ...

Floralnomad Mon 23-Oct-17 20:58:33

I'm pretty sure mine just stands in the garden and inhales , as he is only friends with 4/5 other dogs and none of them have ever had it .

Girlintheframe Sat 28-Oct-17 23:45:47

Our lab is a lot older than yours but he was coughing a lot. We took him who to the vet who thought it might be kennel cough and they prescribed antibiotics, sadly tests have revealed it's actual lung cancer so definitely get the vet to check

2PintsOfPeroni Mon 30-Oct-17 20:22:20

Sorry to hear that Girlintheframe

I didn't take him to the vet as he didn't seem ill and I'm pleased to report he was loads better in 3-4 days smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now