Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP dog has fleas

(17 Posts)
overmybreadbody Sun 22-Oct-17 12:22:26

Ok - so I'm FREAKING out!
Poor little dog has been out of sorts for a few nights, jumping at nothing and licking excessively.

I had a good root around her fur and saw a couple of fleas!

Just treated her with Frontline on the back of her neck.

I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant and am seriously stressing about the eggs etc in carpets, bed etc.

Does anyone have any advice? Xx

BiteyShark Sun 22-Oct-17 12:29:38

I personally use monthly preventative treatment prescribed from the vets which are better than what you can get over the counter. You can get spot ons but I use nexgard spectra which is in tablet form as I hate the smell and mess of spot ons.

As we have never had fleas because of this I can't advise on how best to treat the house.

Santawontbelong Sun 22-Oct-17 12:33:56

Frontline does not work. . Confirmed by my vet a few months ago. . Speak to your vets receptionist and ask for a prescription and buy online a product they recommend. . Half the vet price. And a house spray from pets at home (£16.50) . Takes 3,bloody months to end the cycle of fleas /eggs /more fecking fleas.
(recent fecking flea expert)

overmybreadbody Sun 22-Oct-17 13:21:51

Thanks both, what a bloody ordeal this is going to be.
Currently building furniture for the nursery and all I can think of is all the eggs in the carpet confused

Santawontbelong Sun 22-Oct-17 13:47:45

Until you can get treatment place lots of shallow bowls with washing up liquid and hot water in. The little feckers love a warm swim and then drown!! grin
We got loads in bowls - it does work!! And hoover every single day!!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 22-Oct-17 16:35:56

Check the prices before requesting a written prescription in our practice flea and worm products are closely matched to internet prices and if you had a written prescription you would actually end up paying more.

Santawontbelong Sun 22-Oct-17 16:41:21

I had to pay £7 for each prescription (more than 1flea ridden buggar) but worked out I paid 50%less for all treatment online than quoted from the vets!!

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sun 22-Oct-17 16:45:15

Indorex spray for your carpets dog bed etc

Oleanderrules Sun 22-Oct-17 16:47:28

Poor you they are an absolute nightmare . You just need to be very thorough with cleaning ( wash all linen ) and vacuum sofas etc and remember to get rid of the bag in the vacuum each time and put a new one in. There’s a life cycle with the fleas and their eggs so will need to do it time and time again

Oleanderrules Sun 22-Oct-17 16:48:09

Ps we used flea bombs too to be extra thorough

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Sun 22-Oct-17 20:41:15

Another one who believes Frontline no longer works here. I use monthly spot-on Advocate (because it does a lot of other things besides fleas (heartworm for one).

overmybreadbody Sun 22-Oct-17 21:15:56

Thanks so much, is there a good place to get these from?
Waitrose Pet seems quite reasonable.

Also - what is a flea bomb?!!!? hmm

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 21:17:36

You need to go to the vet.
OTC is useless.
We use nexgard monthly.
Indorex the house.

missbattenburg Mon 23-Oct-17 12:54:27

Indorex, Indorex, Indorex. Don't bother with anything else - this stuff is awesome. Get in from Amazon rather than the vet

Hoover well and work through all bedding and any other soft furnishings that can be washed, washing it all at 60c or higher. Throw your hoover bag out once you have done.

Spray around the Indorex on all carpets and soft furnishings. It'll kill anything in the carpet now and for the next 6-12 months. You've used Frontline and can also use Garlic and Fenugreek tablets (Dorwest herbs) at the higher amount recommended for a month or so.

No fleas should survive this.

overmybreadbody Mon 23-Oct-17 20:04:38

Just ordered 4 bottles of Indorex.

Any idea when I can retreat her as I did Frontline on Sunday.

Ideally will get Advocate next x

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 23-Oct-17 20:29:28

Certain products such as Bravecto you can use straight away.

Wolfiefan Mon 23-Oct-17 20:51:50

See a vet and get proper advice and stuff that works. Advocate is great. I wouldn't use Bravecto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now