Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking for the right breed for us

(85 Posts)
shushpenfold Fri 20-Oct-17 09:35:23

Hi all,

I’m after some advice from you lot. We’ve gone round in circles for several years ref: getting a dog and the time is now right for one (New year onwards) We’re going for a pedigree this time, with the thought that subsequent dogs will be rescues....we have older cats so want a puppy and it’s the first dog our kids have had so want to choose the ideal one for us on the first occasion. We have a few favourite breeds but some seem to have breed traits which aren’t right for us I wondered if you could have a look at the list below and see if you come to the same conclusion as us (ridgeback)

We dont want (relatively)
Drooly
Smelly
Waxy coat
High shedder
Long haired
Tightly wound
Dog who hates being left for a short amount of time.
Small/medium sized

We can cope with
Stubborn to train (as long as trainable)
Needs lots of exercise

Dog needs to cope with
Holidays in kennels
A few hours alone on some days a week

We do want
Big dog
Loyal, loving and very friendly with family.
Big bark that will make burglars think twice.
Friendly enough with strangers but not overly affectionate.
Not aggressive.
Ok with 2 adult cats.

Can offer
Big house
Big enclosed garden
Loving adults and older kids/teens

Thoughts?

Obviously, all of this is dependent on getting a well bred dog and on training/putting in the work with them. We would on both counts.

CMOTDibbler Fri 20-Oct-17 10:20:35

I can do you a lovely lurcher that meets all of those requirements - with a young (6-12 month) rescue, we can see their personality, know how they do with cats and people as well as being left alone, and as the rescue we foster for has all their dogs in foster they are known very well.

I have two of my own, and they really do exactly match apart from the pedigree thing

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:25:35

I wouldn't have a lurcher with cats, to be honest.

I don't know much about ridgebacks but I'd be wary as they are just so strong and you have children and cats. I read down your list and was thinking of a collie?

Discombobulated42 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:26:15

Soft coated wheaten terrier. That's what we have and have him trimmed. Very loyal, doesn't shed. Love him to bits!!

Wolfiefan Fri 20-Oct-17 10:31:19

You could have a lurcher with cats. Definitely. A young dog in foster (with a decent rescue like CMOT works with) will be a known quantity. More so even than a new pup.
We have a wolfhound and cats. It can work. With the right animals and the right introduction/management.
Discover dogs is always worth a visit.
Is there a breed club you can contact? Meet dogs and owners.

Wolfiefan Fri 20-Oct-17 10:33:14

You could have a lurcher with cats. Definitely. A fostered young dog (from a good rescue like CMOT works with) is a known quantity. Even maybe more so than a tiny pup.
We have a wolfhound and cats. With the right animals and the right introduction/management it can work.
Is there a breed club? Can you meet owners and dogs? What's the worst they say about the breed?!
Discover Dogs worth a visit.

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:33:18

It can work, but lets be honest, instinct is very strong. I just wouldn't feel happy about a greyhound, whippet or lurcher with cats. I like the dogs themselves, but I just think this is not a breed to recommend to somebody with cats.

YoureAnArseholeDenise Fri 20-Oct-17 10:34:30

I had a lurcher. He would chase strange cats but was perfectly safe with the cats he lived with - even ones that arrived when he was an adult.

CMOTDibbler Fri 20-Oct-17 10:35:24

I should have said that I have two cats of my own, and 7 of my fosters this year have gone to homes with cats with no problems. Many young lurchers end up in rescue as they are lacking in prey drive as they are bred for coursing and are dumped/ handed in when this becomes apparent at 4-6 months

angrymumma Fri 20-Oct-17 10:36:47

Labrador is a fantastic family pet.
Shedding is a given
Labradoodle would be best if want non shedding. But obviously not a pedigree.
I used furminator and keeps mine at bay.
Labs can be left but as long as they are trained early by building up the time.
I have a working show mix he’s very energetic out but lazy in !
I just love them for a family dog.
Mine is 38 kilo so he’s a big boy but very gentle.
Always had labs with kids.
Good luck on your search OP

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:38:02

I adore Labs but they are very affectionate with strangers as a rule (especially if said strangers have food!)

TheVanguardSix Fri 20-Oct-17 10:50:11

Vizslador! All day long. Best cross because you get the loving lab but the vizsla loyalty so your dog won't run off with strangers.

We have a chocolate vizslador and he's just the best do ever... protects and loves the 3 kids, very loyal, very easygoing. I wrote a huge post but lost it. Ours boy gets on brilliantly with our male cat, who was here first.

Sian Canning in Wales is the contact you'd want.

Alittlepotofrosie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:53:49

With that list i thought standard poodle.

Greyhorses Fri 20-Oct-17 11:03:26

I wouldn't consider a ridgeback. Far too aloof to be good pets in my opinion and I've met lots of owners out of their depth with them. I think they are a hard breed to get right and are not suitable for a novice owner.

I would go for something more likely to be family friendly such as a retriever or standard poodle.

I also wouldn't focus on the not overly friendly with strangers bit, honestly a dog that dislikes strangers is an absoloute nightmare and I would avoid this at all costs. I aim for my dogs to look scary but to actually be friendly to everyone as it dosent restrict where I can take them or who I can leave them with.

A german shepherd bred from a pet line fits most of your boxes except the shedding part of course as they do shed lots!

Ylvamoon Fri 20-Oct-17 11:04:34

If you want to go down the Lurcher root of recommend a Saluki ... far more sophisticated! (Sorry to all you Lurcher lovers... they are great as well!)

Otherwise have a look into Pointers, Dalmatian or Setter types. Most of them would meet your criteria.
My personal favourite would be a Giant Schnauzer (after the Saluki) but they would need regular grooming!

tabulahrasa Fri 20-Oct-17 11:07:09

That "vizslador" breeder has been reccomended on here before, it's a puppy farm in Wales licensed to keep 40 breeding bitches and often has multiple litters of different crosses advertised at the same time.

YoureAnArseholeDenise Fri 20-Oct-17 11:10:40

As soon as I saw “Wales” I thought “puppy farm” 🙄

Nancy91 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:11:54

You can't know what a dogs personality will be like until it is a fully trained adult. They are all different, just like humans.

If you don't want shedding and drooling I would get a poodle.

I love greyhounds and lurchers but they will chase cats etc.

Yokohamajojo Fri 20-Oct-17 11:13:37

I think Airdale or Irish Terrier! We have an Irish and he is great, not perhaps as big as you'd want but lovely temperament, good little guarder, don't shed and very affectionate without it being annoying. Very funny personality

Nancy91 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:14:11

Rescues also get puppies in. I know you said you're going to a breeder but I can't help myself mentioning rescues.

CMOTDibbler Fri 20-Oct-17 11:14:35

Ylva - they are super sophisticated aren't they! I love a Saluki, and one of my lurchers is probably a saluki x greyhound as he has saluki eyes and tail (not super feathery). We get quite a lot of saluki crosses through as it's a 'preferred' coursing mix

Consideredintrusion Fri 20-Oct-17 11:14:56

I have two retired greyhounds and I can’t praise the breed highly enough. beautiful natured dogs that don’t smell and will take as much or as little exercise as you can give them. the rehomers will work with you to find a cat friendly dog and there are plenty. A quick look on Instagram will confirm they can be cat friendly. My boy will bark at strange noises but is a complete sucker for any attention so is no threat. Their deep chests make their barks very impressive. They walk lovely on the lead and wherever we go with them they make so many people happy. Plus there are countless retired greys needing homes.

BrambleandCuthbert Fri 20-Oct-17 11:16:16

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever? The only box it might not tick is the shedding one but a good hoover and regular brushing can sort that out. They’re very loyal and family-focused, great with older kids, high energy but eminently trainable, tend towards aloofness with strangers, good watch dogs (ie they bark when someone comes to the house) but not at all aggressive. And mine have been fine with cats as long as they were introduced as a pup.

I also rate Golden Retrievers, Dalmatians and Setters, although the first two have similar shedding issues to dalmatians and most well-brought up Setters are everybody’s friend. A Dalmatian, on the other hand, would sell its own family for a rotten sausage 🤣.

TopBitchoftheWitches Fri 20-Oct-17 11:16:58

Boxer or Dobermann.

Training classes would be ideal
For both.

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 11:23:08

I really don't like greyhounds being recommended to families with cats.

I have known cats and small dogs killed by greyhounds. Not the greyhounds fault but they aren't a suitable fit for every family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now