Talk

Advanced search

I hate fireworks

(20 Posts)
MothershipG Thu 19-Oct-17 22:02:45

It sounds like we’re in a war zone here, constant distant rumble with frequent incredibly loud bangs.

None of my 3 are happy but middle dog is beside himself 🙁 and the only place he seems to feel even slightly safe is on my pillow wedged into my head and he’s shaking like a leaf.

If this Diwali is anything like past ones the fireworks will go on to the early hours. Can’t see me getting much sleep.

We’ve tried every remedy we can think of over the years and nothing helps. 😢

tabulahrasa Thu 19-Oct-17 22:20:28

sad

At least Diwali is one night... the 5th of November now seems to be a week and a half long

MothershipG Thu 19-Oct-17 22:28:13

I wish it was, we’ve had a build up over the last few days and it will be busy over the weekend.

We will get them on and off now until the new year, with peaks around Halloween and bonfire night.

But we’ve got rain now, so with any luck that will put a dampener on things.

Muse84 Fri 20-Oct-17 05:53:15

Get a product from your vet called Sileo. Mild sedative (your dog will be alert and moving around as normal...) works REALLY well. Was brought out specifically for firework phobia a couple of years ago

Raizel Fri 20-Oct-17 06:03:28

Luckily my dog doesnt mind fire works but I’m completely with you I absolutely hate them. A friend of ours had one dog that was that scared off them she used to stand in a corner and pee herself in the end when any sort of fireworks event was coming up he had to take the dogs to his parents for the week until he was sure the events were finished.

I will say I don’t mind them at licesenced public events but selling them to every tom, dick and harry is ridiculous. I always think you wouldn’t be allowed to sell grenades or sticks of dynamite to just anyone but you can fire works it makes no sense!

SpiderCid Fri 20-Oct-17 07:39:56

My dog was fine with them, till she asked to go out.
Even then the fireworks in the distance really didn't bother them, until one really loud one went off and scared her silly. Even made me jump just cause I wasn't expecting it.
Thankfully I was able to calm her down, and I'm hoping it hasn't made her really fearful of fireworks.
Like mothership we've had a slow build up of fireworks over the week and I'm sure not all of them are to do with Diwali, just as likely to be kids now that they are on sale. But I know from past years that the weekend will be nothing but none stop fireworks until about midnight. I generally find bonfire night to be better as there is more choice in large organised events so I think fewer people do them in their garden.

MothershipG Fri 20-Oct-17 14:10:18

@Muse84

Thanks for that, I've just googled Sileo and it looks interesting but there are some concerns about overdosing and my dog who suffers is very small. Do you mind me asking what breed your dog is?

Squeee Fri 20-Oct-17 21:03:13

Really dreading it, my dog wás a nervous wreck last year, got to where he was barking at slightest noise! Th, I don't like them either

Anasnake Fri 20-Oct-17 21:07:27

My vet prescribes diazepam for mine - knocks him out and he sleeps through most of it. He's a complete nervous wreck and very very distressed otherwise.

SpringSnowdrop Fri 20-Oct-17 21:09:52

My horse who I grew up with and read books on top of she was so gentle died from a heartattsck the only time she heard fireworks as very rural but someone had a wedding near her field. I really feel for animals who don’t understand them as the shock they can give is big

MothershipG Fri 20-Oct-17 21:19:40

And off we go again...more fireworks.

My vet didn’t want to prescribe Valium, she felt that there are too many risks of side effects for my dog.

Dandelionrarrrr Fri 20-Oct-17 21:47:19

My dog is so scared, shakes like a leaf it’s awful I dread them all year. They last a month here. It’s ridiculous. I couldn’t believe it but last night he broke his crate the metal part. I don’t know how it was even possible.
Would I have to take him into a vet to get a drug for him, this makes him really anxious too. I despair.

mummabubs Fri 20-Oct-17 22:06:01

Our poor greyhound loathes them and will growl and bark at every single one. If people were more aware of antisocial noise laws (i.e. No fireworks between 11pm-7am) it'd be manageable, but round by us it's a given every Friday-Sunday evening and sometimes during the week too until the early hours from October-January. Our dog gets no sleep, we get no sleep as he's growling and barking and it's such a drain on all of us every year. I'm currently in hospital being induced with our first child and husband has already text from home to say dog is really distressed (I sent my husband home for the evening even though my sister is dogsitting just to try and keep the dog calm!) I'm dreading having a newborn baby at home this year ... newborn being a recipe for reduced sleep and then adding a growling 30kg distressed dog into the mix is probably going to be a nightmare! 😩

If anyone's interested...

A large UK group that's arguing to get fireworks regulated to official displays only is asking people to log when fireworks take place and if they were reported to 101 or not- basically when parliament debated it last year one of the arguments against regulating was that apparently fireworks are usually only something that residents experience a few nights a year- so collecting this data aims to counter that if it's debated again.

Here's the link to the doc if you did want to log them! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdfdLkKLHEixa9umMs6wddkloKWl50uJzyZYq3PA0fl4RU6mg/viewform

MothershipG Sat 21-Oct-17 21:40:37

More fireworks tonight, I’m going to log them, thanks for posting the link.

MothershipG Sun 22-Oct-17 20:37:25

And again tonight...

AnUtterIdiot Mon 23-Oct-17 18:11:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StandardPoodle Mon 30-Oct-17 19:24:44

Another one who hates fireworks here. I wish they were banned except for public displays. I'm sure that when I was young (ok, many years ago!) fireworks were much smaller and quieter - you couldn't see them over a neighbour's hedge/wall.
Interesting link above - thank you mummabubs

MothershipG Tue 31-Oct-17 21:14:44

And of course yet more tonight, because it Halloween so that’s traditional, right? 🤔😡

Twooter Tue 31-Oct-17 21:20:13

Have you tried this?
www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/dog-behaviour-health/sound-therapy-for-pets

MothershipG Tue 31-Oct-17 21:40:36

Thanks Twooter, we’ve tried similar things and he’s fine with them, it’s just when the noise is from outside. I suppose having grown up with the DC he is used to inside noises? Or maybe it’s the smell ? I really have no idea.

But I will download that program to see if it offers anything different, thanks for the link.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: