Advanced search

Footpath access

(4 Posts)
refinnejk Sun 15-Oct-17 09:46:45

We live very close to open countryside and farmland and we've got a 4 month old puppy. A local farmer has just put up a gate, which will be locked from next week, across a track so I can't now easily access the countryside!! Can he do this? There is a small section of the track which isn't a public footpath and this is the section he has blocked off. The track is used to access at least 2 other houses by car. My house is 17 years old so the access will have been used by people for all that time, and presumably longer as the other houses up there are old. The gate has a sign saying private drive, access only, no footpath. Can't believe the timing now we have finally got a puppy!!

DancingLedge Sun 15-Oct-17 09:57:21

Check the definitive footpath map- normally held by County Council.
If it's not a footpath, if a certain number of years usage can be proved, by the public, it may have become a right of way.
Try and find if The Open Spaces Society have an area rep. - they are knowledgeable and determined on this stuff.

refinnejk Sun 15-Oct-17 10:01:50

Thank you I will check out the open spaces society

olliegarchy99 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:54:21

'open' countryside is usually owned by someone as is farmland and I suspect the farmer is in the right but it could be worthwhile cultivating his good natured side and he may be happy for you to access (although the steel gate and notice suggests he may have reached the end of his tether with people using the private bit of the track.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: