Talk

Advanced search

How in the hell?

(13 Posts)
CabanaBayLife Thu 12-Oct-17 15:21:48

Hi Guys,

We have a 14 week old Whippet who is incredibly beautiful and bright that managed to not only get out of a 5 foot high play pen and on to the work top and (poop there aswell might I add) to then get down the opposite side of the playpen and run free, im shore he could compete in parkour or something. Please tell me is this some thing all Whippets do? X.

CMOTDibbler Thu 12-Oct-17 17:24:15

Sounds about right - theres a reason that sighthound rescues require 6 ft fences! My whippet x doberman can easily clear a 5ft fence from a standstill

tabulahrasa Thu 12-Oct-17 19:14:54

Sighthounds can jump ridiculously high, from a standing, no run up or anything...

So while I've no direct whippet experience, it sounds right, I once met a 12 week old (so still tiny) lurcher puppy that could reach my head by just bouncing, I'm 5 ft 8, lol

frostyfingers Thu 12-Oct-17 19:19:07

I found my six month old whippet on the worktop in the utility room - I was next door and hadn’t heard anything. The cat food at the back of the worktop was her objective and it was only the noise of the bowl moving that alerted me. I hadn’t quite realised how high they could go, and how easily, now I know I’m even more careful about things being left out. They have springs hidden in the skinny little legs!

Clg199 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:19:32

My 12 year old whopper cleared a 4 foot fence from a stand still. He’d squeezed through a hole and I was wondering how to get him back when he just went BOING! and there he was. We didn’t get him until he was 10, and despite loving him to bits I was a little bit glad we missed out on his mischevious diva years.

Clg199 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:20:30

Whippet FFS autocorrect

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 12-Oct-17 20:21:56

Totally par for the course with whippets grin You soon learn what actually constitutes “out of reach” for them. On top of the fridge freezer (free standing and away from any worktops) is the only truly whippet safe spot in our kitchen. At least until they work out how to form some kind of canine pyramid...

Greenkit Thu 12-Oct-17 23:48:45

I have three, the two boys do the 'on hind legs with neck stretch' the female is up on the side from the floor, as soon as my back in turned.

Flippetydip Fri 13-Oct-17 12:32:02

I'm coming to realise "sight hound" actually means "cat in a dog suit" in so many ways.

TheOriginalMagratGarlik Tue 17-Oct-17 23:19:53

Flippetydip grin love that "cat in a dog suit"

I always thought whippets were the love children of greyhounds with cats. We have two plus a greyhound/whippet cross lurcher and yet we would appear to have only 1 actual dog (the lurcher - her whippet side is drowned out by her greyhound subborn-ness) in the house. The rest are basically cats.

bluetongue Wed 18-Oct-17 10:04:21

I call my whippet the 'tall, skinny cat'. As a long time cat lover and owner it's the perfect breed for me grin

Flippetydip Wed 18-Oct-17 10:35:24

We have a grey and she is definitely more cat than dog when she's in the house. She sleeps a lot all curled up on the sofa. I don't like cats as a rule, but I do love her!

TheFlandersPigeonMurderer Thu 19-Oct-17 05:18:23

We have a whippet staffie Cross who can jump easily the height of my head. Luckily the Staffie in her has led to her being slightly closer coupled and with shorter legs than a pure whippet- she’s also never mastered the art of jumping forward, only vertically like a jump jet grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: