Talk

Advanced search

Just found a growth on DDog

(9 Posts)
Peopleplease Sun 08-Oct-17 16:26:15

He's a 5 year old unneutered Golden Retriever.

We were away and my FIL was dog sitting. One day DDog was wet so FIL dried him with a towel and noticed it and he's just pointed it out to me.

It's in the middle of his back and is roughly the size of the top of my little finger. It doesn't seem to hurt him. I groom him every few days and haven't noticed it before.

Any ideas on what this might be? I'll be getting a vet appointment tomorrow.

VioletCharlotte Sun 08-Oct-17 16:33:06

It may be a cyst. I had a panic a couple of months ago when I found a lump on my spaniels neck. The vet said they're really common. Get him to the vet though next week so they can check him out. Hope he's ok.

mayhew Sun 08-Oct-17 16:36:32

It might be a fatty lump which are common and benign. Ask the vet.

Peopleplease Sun 08-Oct-17 19:01:55

Fingers crossed it's something ok to deal with. He seems ok in himself, a big tired but he's been with FILs dog for a few days.

Catsrus Sun 08-Oct-17 19:14:55

Fatty lumps are common in some retrievers. I had a bitch that was full of them, she lived to 12. Middle of the back is not a usual place for anything more sinister.

2ducks2ducklings Sun 08-Oct-17 19:19:29

It's most likely to be a fatty lump. Some breeds are prone to them, our old springer was up and down the vets all the time as he has loads of them, but they assured us they were completely harmless.
I'd still get him checked to put your mind at rest though.

Peopleplease Mon 09-Oct-17 20:58:28

Thankfully it's a cyst of some kind
(It was DH who took him to to the appointment).

The vet will remove it (as there's a chance it could get nicked etc) but all is good!

VioletCharlotte Mon 09-Oct-17 21:23:36

Great news smile

Peopleplease Tue 10-Oct-17 00:52:46

I'm so relieved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now