Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 month old puppy coming home

(5 Posts)
catclarks Sun 08-Oct-17 16:19:16

We're getting a gorgeous 5 month old lurcher puppy from the Dogs Trust who is coming home with us on Thursday. She is absolutely gorgeous and we are all smitten. It's all happened very quickly - I only went into register on Friday! DH and I both grew up with dogs but that was far too long ago for me to admit to. We have a basic list of things to get this week, but can anyone recommend a specific bed or toys or anything they think would be useful. Thanks.

CornflakeHomunculus Sun 08-Oct-17 16:32:40

I'd start off with a cheap and basic bed until you know how likely she is to destroy it. Plus, given she's a lurcher chances are she'll end up on your furniture anyway grin

The same goes for toys really, just a few cheap things until you get a feel for what she likes and whether she'll try and rip stuff apart.

There's loads of really useful resources, especially for new puppy owners, on the doghouse sticky thread.

catclarks Sun 08-Oct-17 16:41:43

Thanks for that Cornflake. We're all ridiculously excited. I guess a visit to the pet shop is on the cards tomorrow.

CMOTDibbler Sun 08-Oct-17 18:34:16

Unless she's a hairy lurcher, she's likely to need a coat - obv you need to measure her, so it can't be ordered until she's with you, but Milgi are my favourites. She'll need a martingale collar (I know Dogs Trust use wide leather collars, but they are very easy to slip over pointy heads). I like Meggie Moo and Slouching Hound best. I'm sure you've been told that you should never use an extending lead for a lurcher.
Fleece blankets, and a cheap folded duvet work well to begin with as they can scrape them around, and are easily washed in case of accidents

catclarks Tue 10-Oct-17 14:37:31

Thanks CMOT. Once we get her home we'll get the measuring tape out. My mum's got an old duvet and I'm sure I can find some blankets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now