Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dogs barking (Disclaimer : I'm not a dog person)

(13 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 06-Oct-17 10:26:27

What is reasonable?
How d'you make them desist?

Not my dogs you understand but NDN two have been barking in the night ( 1 am this morning, 3 am in the week)

I curse at the day time noise (most of the time I'm at work anyway)
They bark indoors , I can hear them through the walls.
They bark in the garden.

So when I blow a fuse and stomp round there (I have done before they've been all "Oh sorry" ) and tell them to shut their bloody dogs up ....... what can they actually DO?

I have bought a dog whistle to blow when they're in the garden but they don't respond , probably not been trained to respond.

I'm 99% of the time "they're dogs, dogs bark" but 3am would test a saint to the limit (unless of course someone is breaking into the house ) but it's a regular occurance so I'll rule out burglery.

Help !!

Eolian Fri 06-Oct-17 10:29:54

Sympathies. I'm afraid the whistle is pointless - a whistle would only work if the dog had been trained to shut up when it hears a whistle! I think the only thing you can do is complain repeatedly to the owners tbh.

pigsDOfly Fri 06-Oct-17 11:39:33

If it's really intrusive and going on all the time, especially at night, I'd get in touch with the noise people at your local council.

Someone who lives near me has a dog that barks all day - I assume it's on it own a lot - and I often wonder what it must be like for their neighbours. Fortunately for me I'm too far away for it to bother me.

I've made sure my dog barks as seldom as possible and I've trained her to stop on command when she does bark. I don't know how people put up with a non stop barking dog.

No just randomly blowing a dog whistle is not going to achieve anything I'm afraid.

Llamacorn Fri 06-Oct-17 11:45:29

I am a dog person, I have a dog and wen I couldn't stand the sound of dogs barking constantly, especially at that time of the morning!
If nothing has been done following a complaint to the owners, then I think you will have to contact your local council.
Could you suggest to the owners to put the dog into some training classes, or would that not come across well?
We time our walks etc so our dog isn't our past 10pm, he doesn't often bark luckily but there's a dog 2 doors down that constantly barks and it's a nightmare, sometimes he sets other dogs in the street off and it's really not an easy noise to shut out.
We actually had a neighbour come round to complain about our dog barking, I explained that it wasn't our dog and I don't think they believed me until the other dog started again. They profusely apologised and trotted a couple of doors down. Didn't do much though!

Llamacorn Fri 06-Oct-17 11:46:05

*even not wen

Majormanner Fri 06-Oct-17 11:47:37

As a dog owner it sounds like they haven't trained their dog/s properly. Our dog only barks when someone is in the house and someone is at the door - its pack mentality to alert us.

Make a complaint to the local authority and keep a record.

Santawontbelong Fri 06-Oct-17 11:48:03

Ring the council for advice. Ours has an anti social neighbour hotline!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 06-Oct-17 11:54:10

Thanks .
I'm not one who thinks all dogs should be 100% silent so I've let a lot slide but I think I'm going to bust a blood vessel.

I think I was kidding myself with the dog whistle they don't even give me a "Eh?" look when I do it. As you say if they don't know why I'm doing it, ....maybe I just thought they'd hear this 'noise' and stop in their tracks .

I will keep a noise diary, and next time I'm going to record the noise level from my side.

Though a 2am doorbell ring is deffo on the cards angry

BriechonCheese Fri 06-Oct-17 11:54:39

I feel your pain! We live next to a dog who barks 7am-10pm every.single.day and when I was unwell and stuck at home it drove me potty. It literally barks when they are in and howls when they are out.

We have two dogs who bark when someone they don't know comes to the door or if they are naughty enough to climb on to the sitting room windowsill, which is approx once a week and never longer than 10 seconds. So if I complain they say "your dogs bark too". I didn't want to complain to the council as I know we would have to declare it when we come to sell but I can't take it anymore.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 06-Oct-17 11:55:49

They may well be reacting to foxes or a passer by , but they go off in unison then egg each other on.
I'm guessing they're in the kitchen together from the noise direction.

Soubriquet Fri 06-Oct-17 11:57:05

Yes that's unreasonable

I have a dog who can be very barky at times but as soon as I hear her barking in the garden, I'm immediately out there getting her in.

I don't like to hear dogs bark all day, why should my neighbours?

BriechonCheese Fri 06-Oct-17 12:05:02

Soubriquet
Same! We are end terrace with our gate facing onto a busy road, one of our dogs would happily bark at everyone walking past if he was left to his own devices. So he doesn't get left in the garden alone (we are training him and this is his weakness) and the older one knows if he barks in the garden (more than a little bark of excitement at a ball) then it is game over and time to come in and he goes to the step to be let in.
I'd die of shame if my dogs were disturbing people.

The only time my dogs went mad in the night (2am) was when the paramedics came. They lost their minds but I hope the neighbours had the good grace to be understanding in that situation.

DeepfriedPizza Fri 06-Oct-17 12:10:29

That's a lot of barking. How do they put up with it as owners I wonder?

I would have to say something! how long do they bark for in the middle of the night?

Mine barks when someone dares to walk past the window so we keep the curtains drawn. Mine barks when the foxes dare to come in the back garden at night. She did bark her head off one night at 4am but we had an actual intruder so we'll let her off for that one. I am thankful I live in a detached house though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now