Talk

Advanced search

Possessive dog

(4 Posts)
leighdinglady Thu 05-Oct-17 11:15:30

My dog is an extremely happy and generally lovely 2 year old cockapoo, however.,,

Although he's safe as houses around food he can become possessive over stupid things. For example, yesterday he stole the oven gloves off the side and took them to his bed. When I tried to get them back he growled at me. My DH and I respond very differently and id like to know which approach you think is better

1. DH is shout at him and snatch the gloves back
2. (And this is what happened) I will pretend I don't want them and give him lots of friendly attention, calm him by getting him excited and playing with him. I then got him to 'pick it up' and give it to me - big treat.

DH thinks this is just training him to steal stuff because he gets a fuss and a treat, I think scaring him and snatching things is training him to defend stuff even more aggressively?!

It's so bloody hard!

FairfaxAikman Thu 05-Oct-17 11:18:11

Your DH will make things worse - your dog fears the thing being taken and the shouting “justifies” that fear in the Dogs mine (ie bad things happen).
I find this diagram helpful

leighdinglady Thu 05-Oct-17 11:44:33

That's a brilliant chart thank you!

bouyou Thu 05-Oct-17 22:32:41

Yes - resource guarding. Can easily go wrong, so go with the diagram above!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: