Talk

Advanced search

A dog bit me today!

(27 Posts)
Passmyslippers Tue 03-Oct-17 18:42:32

What do you make of this? I'm actually quite upset & a bit shocked it happened.

Walking my ddog round the usual local park which we do twice every single day.

A guy with a golden lab walks towards us (dog on a lead) and the dog tries to get my my ddog but she cowered away then it launched at me and by the grace of god - because it was cold- I had my thick coat on and had pulled the sleeves right down past my hands. The dog bit my hand which was protected by the sleeve.

The guy was very apologetic and said she had never done anything like that.

I don't know what to make of it? I've never had anything like that happen to me!

Greyhorses Tue 03-Oct-17 19:18:58

Was it trying to get at your dog and caught you or did it aim for your hand?

If it were me I would report it, with the hope the owner would muzzle it in future.
I very much doubt it's out of the blue though. It's very very rare a dog with no previous history would snap at a dog then human without ever showing signs of an issue previously!

Hope your feeling okay.

Passmyslippers Tue 03-Oct-17 19:33:16

My dog was quite a way in front of me so it definitely just went for me.
It didn't look a young dog either, very strange sad

SleightOfMind Thu 05-Oct-17 20:54:56

That is really worrying, to go straight into biting a human like that is awful.
I think you should report it too.

Was it your dog or the golden on lead? I wasn't quite sure from your post.

Hope you're ok. I'd be quite shaken up if this happened to me.

Passmyslippers Thu 05-Oct-17 21:48:22

The golden lab that bit me was on a lead, it was so strange. The guy with the dog managed to pull it away when it went for my dog (who was a way in front of me off lead) but then didn't manage to stop it launching at me!
Was very shaken. Dh is walking with me everyday now in the hope we see them again to check it's now muzzled

SleightOfMind Fri 06-Oct-17 20:36:59

Well, I suppose it was on a lead at least, not rampaging about taking chunks out of you.

I think the owner must be minimising things, I'm not a professional but I've never heard of a dog going from absolutely fine to biting a stranger with no warning.
Also, most dogs seem to either have issues with other dogs or humans. This one tried to get your dog and then moved on to you, really worrying.

If you do see the dog unmuzzled, please report it. Honestly, I'd report now because of the owner claiming it was 'out of the blue'. He's clearly not getting to grips with the dog's issues at all.

SleightOfMind Fri 06-Oct-17 20:38:37

either dogs or humans.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 06-Oct-17 20:40:17

Dogs bite me all of the time. They really hate me.

The owners all seem to think it's fine.
hmm

Silverthorn Fri 06-Oct-17 20:48:23

Dh got bitten by a dog 'that had never done it before'. It was going for my 2yo ds whom dh got in the way of. We reported to the police and they offered us options on how they wanted it handled. Ds could have been blamed for provoking the dog because he ran past it giggling loudly. hmm

Whisky2014 Fri 06-Oct-17 20:54:49

A dog attacked my dog a couple of days ago and whilst I was trying to get the dog off, it's tooth caught my hand. I have reported it. I found out who the owner was and looked on their fb page. I see this dog had been importation from Zimbabwe and the owner even states she is rescuing it from a "very dark place". Eh yeh, so get a muzzle on it. I thought my dog was going to have chunks ripped out of er but thankfully she is ok. I was more shaken up than my dog and it is a horrible experience. As much as I love dogs I just think "it could have been a child" so every attack is worth reporting.

SleightOfMind Fri 06-Oct-17 20:55:08

Silverthorn that's awful, the police actually said that?
king Joff That's weird.
Most dogs give a wide berth to people they don't like. The braver ones might bark.
Are you haunted, or a cat?

RussellTheLoveMuscle Sat 07-Oct-17 13:29:07

Sounds like the leashed retriever might have been reactive to your unleashed dog and redirected onto you. So fearful of yours as he can't escape so tries making yours go away, now stressed even more and you unfortunately took the brunt of it.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 07-Oct-17 13:49:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 07-Oct-17 14:22:13

Sleight I possible give off a Father Jack style 'furry smell' due to being a cat and rabbit owner.

But I'm really nice, I'd totally stop and stroke every single one of them if it weren't for the snarling and baring of teeth...

But seriously, 50% of doggos I walk past go for me. Owners always tell me they won't hurt me but I'd rather not take the chance. Dog bites fucking hurt.

SleightOfMind Sun 08-Oct-17 23:11:31

That's horrible, dogs are everywhere!
I've never been bitten but I've been barked, snarled and charged at by dogs and that's bad enough.
I know some owners think I'm disguised child murderer because their dog's taken a dislike to me!
Do people insist their dog would love you when you tell them?
Disclaimer: my dogs, would, of course, love you. Go on, give them a stroke, they love a fuss.

SleightOfMind Sun 08-Oct-17 23:23:55

I'd be horrified if my dogs bit someone.
It's bad enough being chomped on by a toddler, let alone a huge carnivore.
I would be beyond apologetic.
Russel makes a good point about redirecting if the golden was scared and stressed.
Sounded like OPs dog wasn't trying to interact with the other dog though.
Still irresponsible not to muzzle a dog that's so fear reactive it will drag it's owner over to another dog to attack.
Can't be much fun for the terrified dog to be walked in the local park with offlead dogs either.
It's still really strange.

SleightOfMind Sun 08-Oct-17 23:24:46

its

PurplePillowCase Sun 08-Oct-17 23:31:30

geoff
dh is the same. dogs just snap at him. really weird, he doesn't do anything provocative.

PurplePillowCase Sun 08-Oct-17 23:32:33

and if we had a penny from every dog handler saying 'he never did anything like this before...' we would be rich.

SleightOfMind Mon 09-Oct-17 01:24:49

I did once know a guy who had a similar effect on children.
it was uncanny, very young children would burst into tears or bury their heads into their parents if he did something like sit opposite on public transport.
At weddings etc a child would almost always hit him. Was bizarre (but funny).

I suppose dogs and children are mostly being managed.
Maybe there are people out there wasps or foxes feel compelled to attack.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 09-Oct-17 01:36:34

I get bitten by fleas too.

Moved into a house with exH which was riddled with fleas. They bit the feck out of me but left him alone. They left scars which took years to heal.

I'm always fairly confident my cats don't have fleas because I know I'd have flea bites if we did.

Sheep like me, though. They always trot over for a hug. So that's nice.

SleightOfMind Mon 09-Oct-17 01:46:34

Ah, their woolly trusting little faces.
They get treated like shit by dogs and fleas too. They must feel your pain.

Come to think of it, boyfriends' mothers have always taken an instant dislike to me.

And on holiday this year, mozzies virtually stripped DT1 to the bone and left DT2 unscathed, while they were sleeping in the same bed .
There's more to this than meets the eye...

onceisok Mon 09-Oct-17 01:49:19

People go out for walks with me as NOBODY gets bitten by mosquitoes if I'm there. I draw clouds of the fuckers.

Dh gets bitten by ticks weekly though and I never have.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 09-Oct-17 01:51:31

Ooo, and squirrels trust me too.

They often bounce over to me. I often snack on nuts and they'll happily take them from me.

Has anyone done studies into this? Be a fascinating documentary.

SleightOfMind Mon 09-Oct-17 02:31:10

And...
DS1 is the only person in the house who is scared of spiders. He has had them :
fall out of bath towels when he gets out of the shower,
trap him on the stairs,
Get stuck in his hair when he goes in the garage,
Fall on to his bed when he shuts his skylight
Land on his shoulder in class.

The, beneficial and harmless little fuckers love him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: