Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to stop my dog pulling on the lead

(11 Posts)
Passmyslippers Sun 01-Oct-17 18:36:20

She's an 11 year old black lab and I've had her a year. She's my absolute angel and perfect in every way apart from lead walking.

We have a big park nearby so most walking is done off lead but when she's on a lead and particularly when we walk somewhere unfamiliar she pulls like crazy.

I've been trying to stop start technique but it's not having any affect as of yet.

Any tips gratefully received please!

BiteyShark Sun 01-Oct-17 18:43:45

Uh my spaniel is a pain on the lead and I avoided it for a while by mostly letting him run off lead. He is getting better now because I make an effort to take him on lead for a walk everyday even if it is just 10mins. I use a slip lead (not liked by everyone) and give him a little ‘check’ if he starts to pull. If he is massively pulling I literally turn around so walk in a circle which usually gets him back in line. If he has seen something and he is fixated on getting to it I stop and refuse to budge until he sits.

Greyhorses Sun 01-Oct-17 19:00:25

Dogmatic headcollar and stop every single time she pulls until the lead goes slack.

It will take forever and drive you mad but it really does work once they get it!

LimeJellyHead Tue 10-Oct-17 17:47:10

The Halti range is excellent for lead pulling. They started with the original Headcollar www.dfordog.co.uk/halti-stop-pulling-dog-headcollar.html but they now also do a stop-pulling harness for dogs who won't tolerate a headcollar www.dfordog.co.uk/halti-stop-pulling-dog-harness.html Give it a try. Best teamed with a double ended 'training' lead.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 10-Oct-17 17:52:56

Harness with the leash clipped onto the chest. Cant pull without turning themselves around

Hufflepuff719 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:58:48

Hold the lead across your body. So dog is walking on the left side of you, you are holding the middle of the lead in your left hand and the end in your right hand. This will mean that dog is in the 'heel'position.

I would reinforce the 'heel' command, and continue the stop start method. When dog is walking well, reward with a treat and continue walking.

babyblackbird Tue 10-Oct-17 22:46:18

I have had this too- got behaviourist on board for other stuff recently- advice was front attaching harness - and clicker training - my dog who was horrendous, to the point of causing me a bad back, is so much better, not perfect but so manageable now it's actually enjoyable and no longer the entire focus of our walk, within 5?weeks and I only had to be really intensive with training for about 3 weeks.

babyblackbird Tue 10-Oct-17 22:47:15

Ps should have said I had already tried stop / start and so many other tactics but the front harness and clicker did the trick finally

lollipop7 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:59:51

@Greyhorses second the dogmatic.
I've had a five year old cockatoo who thinks she is a traction engine. Without this I would be lost

lollipop7 Tue 10-Oct-17 23:00:10

Cockapoo even.
What a mental image

user1497997754 Tue 10-Oct-17 23:35:20

I have 2 golden retrievers and use a harness they are so good I could not walk with them without them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now