Talk

Advanced search

Raw fed puppy-can I use kibble as training treat?

(5 Posts)
Headinthedrawer Sun 24-Sep-17 08:06:44

Hi.10 week pup has been moved to raw feeding to see of it stops her PICA (cut grass,slugs,mud,wood-then being sick).On advice of vet and wonderful local pet shop we have raw puppy food which she loves.I'm wondering what to give her when training though.Cooked chicken and sausage seem non messy easy ideas but can I use her old kibble as it's easier to take to doggy day care/out and about onven vaccinated ?Some advice says don't mix kibble with raw but will this do her any harm?Will check with vet tommorow if necessary but figure someone here will have good advice.

SavoyCabbage Sun 24-Sep-17 08:09:54

Will she see kibble as a treat? It's probably it delicious enough to be used as a reward.

SparklingRaspberry Sun 24-Sep-17 09:11:10

Yay for raw smile and yay for a vet which isn't afraid to promote it!

Don't use kibble. crap kibble is digested at a different rate than raw which is why it's not a good idea to mix both.

If you go to your local pet shop which sells raw food they should also sell some natural treats (that literally have nothing nasty in!) or you could cook some chicken up. That's what I use for treats when out the house. The chicken may not be raw but it's still better than kibble or any of the other usual dog treats!

Also when I took my pup to training a lot of people there used ham but that's processed.

Headinthedrawer Sun 24-Sep-17 09:44:28

Thanks all!I agree kibble probably won't get her to do anything now she has tried raw meat.Have looked and found some dry liver treats so will order those instead and stock up on chicken.

Eifla Sun 24-Sep-17 11:14:15

The not feeding raw & kibble together argument is massively outdated. It is now widely accepted to be bullshit, and fine to feed both if that's what you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now